Real Amp Head in the FXLoop, possible?

Ironwill

Experienced
Hey, is it possible to put a Real Amp Head 5150 in the FXLoop and just using the Axe cabs for recording Analog out or Re-amping? Guitar- Axe FX In- Gate block-Drive block-FXL(5150)Input 2-Cab block - Interface

You have to turn the amp head into a line level slave, not simply attenuate it. 100% of the energy the amp is producing has to be absorbed by something in lieu of a speaker cabinet.

I used to slave four amps down to line level in my live rig. They don't sound or react the same, doing so today is pointless as the Axe simulations sound and react better without the hassles and expenses.

Yes, I was able to do this. Key is that you must plug into a speaker cabinet or load box as to not damage your amp.

I use a SPEAKER level DI box:
1) run the output of the amp head to the input of the DI box
2) run the speaker out of the DI box to your speaker cab (or load box)
3) and run the XLR out of the DI box to your Axe FX.

I use the Pro Co DB1, but there are several to choose from.

Good luck!

Going the route with a load box and back to the Axe FX do it really reacts different the Amp Head?

I do this with my Egnater Seminar head. All you need is a load box. The new Suhr Reactive Load is made exactly for this purpose. Just run from the speaker out of the amp into the load box and from there into the return of the FX Return on the Axe Fx. Run that signal into a Cab block and you're good to go.

Here's an older thread I started about this: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/92433-axe-fx-ii-cabinet-simulator.html

Thanks for all the infos, I was thinking about getting a Mesa Cabclone/use the Line Out with Cab sim OFF -> Axe FX
That it most likely react different then, what this mean? In Tone, Dynamics, general sound..? I assume it will sound pretty good still, I hope actually

That it most likely react different then, what this mean? In Tone, Dynamics, general sound..? I assume it will sound pretty good still, I hope actually
At frequencies where the cab impedance is higher, a tube amp's output will be higher. So there will be a difference in frequency response. If the power amp part of the Amp block is being driven into distortion, the frequencies where the impedance is higher will also distort more.

It won't sound terrible, but it won't sound the same either.

Yes, I was able to do this. Key is that you must plug into a speaker cabinet or load box as to not damage your amp.

I use a SPEAKER level DI box:
1) run the output of the amp head to the input of the DI box
2) run the speaker out of the DI box to your speaker cab (or load box)
3) and run the XLR out of the DI box to your Axe FX.

I use the Pro Co DB1, but there are several to choose from.

Good luck!

Man i am so glad you mentioned this, I so totally forgot that I had a power attenuator sitting next to me on top of my supro. (gotta tame the beast if you play in a tiny room.

At frequencies where the cab impedance is higher, a tube amp's output will be higher. So there will be a difference in frequency response. If the power amp part of the Amp block is being driven into distortion, the frequencies where the impedance is higher will also distort more.

It won't sound terrible, but it won't sound the same either.

But it's not only the Impedance setting their then right? Amp 8OHM- Load Box 8 OHM for example, it's also the Frequency response of a real cab reacting to the amp which I loose if I understand correctly.

That's why finding the right frequency response to the cab IR in Axe Amps speaker page can be the key to improve the overall sound most likely

It's the frequency response of the cab plus the impedance curve of the cab. An 8-ohm speaker is only eight ohms at a few frequencies. It might be 16 ohms or more at other frequencies.

Ah that I assumed, thanks for the info. So it's never possible to Loop a real Head very accurate in the Axe. I think maybe it not worth it for me apart from it would be a amp we not have already in the box.
But when the the frequencies are difference with a load box doesn't mean it sound wrong, I just have to dial the Amp different, is it more complex?

Can you tell me for what the Amp Block speaker page is meant actually, to adjust the Axe to a real cab or Cab IR , both right?

The Speaker page in the amp block simulates the effect of a cab's impedance at different frequencies. The Amp block reacts to those settings just as a real amp would react to a real cab.

Back
Top Bottom