Ready for Axe-Edit & FW V10...

brianv4

Fractal Fanatic
got my presets backed up using midi ox. so it's safe to release the hounds! anxious to try out the new factory patches, shuffle them around with axe-edit then reload my patches and tweak away.:geek

I suspect that any new factory patches won't be a part of the released FW, but as a separate download and not neccesarily released at the same time :)

figured they would be a separate download, hopefully it all comes at the same time (10, edit and patches)

Interesting. So that leads me to a question then, since this is my first FW update. What do most people do? Backup current presets, overwrite current presets with new factory patches to check things out, and then reload the saved presets and tweak them?

I personally trash everything for big updates and start from scratch.

I figured out when I had the Ultra, I got stellar results just starting new presets. Going from old presets actually took longer for me.

Given the magnitude of 10, I'm definitely going to start over.

Richard

I personally trash everything for big updates and start from scratch.

I figured out when I had the Ultra, I got stellar results just starting new presets. Going from old presets actually took longer for me.

Given the magnitude of 10, I'm definitely going to start over.

Richard

Ugh. There's no way I could do that. I play in a cover band and I've been slowly dialing presets in to sound like the originals over the past 3 months. I have about 45 presets now, a few with tonematching. I have to preserve what I have and improve them where possible. I was thinking I needed to go through each patch, swap the amp in and out to bring in the new amp models and maybe do the same thing with the cabs. Am I right?

Is there a way to print "all" of the settings for each patch? I thought I saw a tool someone had created.

I'm going to download AE first, then pull up all my 9.0 presets and move some stuff around backup my "keeper" presets. Then Upgrade to 10.0. Then see how my keeper presets have changed and what the new FW did to them. From there I can decide if I should wipe the slate clean and start over, or if some simple tweaks is all I need. I don't use global blocks, so I have a lot of non-amp block settings and routings that I prefer to keep in tact. But, this is only about 10 presets, all the rest can go.....

If you export your edited presets via a Sysex app, and open them in AxeEdit (offline), you can see where all the setting are... but, most likely, your old amp settings will no longer be relevant...

Ugh. There's no way I could do that. I play in a cover band and I've been slowly dialing presets in to sound like the originals over the past 3 months. I have about 45 presets now, a few with tonematching. I have to preserve what I have and improve them where possible. I was thinking I needed to go through each patch, swap the amp in and out to bring in the new amp models and maybe do the same thing with the cabs. Am I right?

back up your existing presets before doing anything. check out the new stuff, then put your patches back in (make sure there's no new patches you'd want to keep where yours go).

If you have a lot of time invested like I do and your presets/scenes are loaded with FX/Scenes specific to your needs, there's no reason to completely re-program your unit. Just reset the Amp block.

All you have to do to is go to the TYPE page of the amp block, switch to a different amp type then switch back. This will update your Amp block with new default settings, the SAVE.

FW 10 looks to have quite a few new speaker IR's so you'll want to spend some time checking them out. I'm sure these are going to make a huge difference in your tone. So as you get time to experiment, try out new Amp/Cab setups with your existing patches.

I know from personal experience the last several FW updates have made tone shaping an increasingly easier process to start from scratch. Good sounds are readily available, but that doesn't necessarily help if you have a really complicated or specific rig for a specific tune or player. I imagine it's mainly the amp/cabs that will change the most at this stage, so hopefully you can load the saved presets and just tweak those blocks affected most by the fw change. (essentially what brianv4 said)

There are other folks on the forum that keep their presets so don't fret too much. But I would defer to them for the best way (other than the obvious read the release notes and follow them :))

I'm going to download AE first, then pull up all my 9.0 presets and move some stuff around backup my "keeper" presets.

Do we know if AE10 works with FW9.02? I haven't seen any details but kind of assumed that it would not be backward compatible. If not, you might want to download the older AE to do that.

Do we know if AE10 works with FW9.02? I haven't seen any details but kind of assumed that it would not be backward compatible. If not, you might want to download the older AE to do that.

Right, this is assuming it will work with any version (I can't imagine the new AE will only work with 10, but you never know). Definitely read the release notes first, then go from there...

of course! all of us should promote to FW10 & AE2.0 when it's ready... everything else is nonsense.
AE10? man that will be years from now!

I'm going to load v10 and just reset the amp block in my existing presets, zero any PEQ blocks, select/reset the CAB block and check out the parameters, throw on a new factory IR, and go from there...

Back
Top Bottom