Re-amping Which way best in this case??!

Ironwill

Experienced
Hey, on re-amping over the Axe FX II and external Interface which is the better way you think?

I know some of you prefer the digital way send the DI to the Axe via AES/Sdif.

So far I choosed the analog path XLR to Axe Rear Input 1(bal.) for my DI's.

Anyone have experience IF it would be in anything better to send the DI from the Interface to a (Radial x-amp box for example) then to the Axe Instr. Front Input instead using the Rear Input on the back ? I only wonder because, isn't the Front In have a lower noisefloor for example?

Don't think its really going to make any perceivable difference either way, assuming your external interface is good quality (which pretty much all of them are these days)

I'd suggest just using USB though, super simple 1 cable connection, and same quality as AEX/SPDIF

Don't think its really going to make any perceivable difference either way, assuming your external interface is good quality (which pretty much all of them are these days)

I'd suggest just using USB though, super simple 1 cable connection, and same quality as AEX/SPDIF

;-) I tried AES/ebu and XLR Rear Input 1 for sending the DI, I don't hear any noticeable difference actually. Only wonder about the third way over a Re-amp box to the Axe Inst. IN , I assume a Re-amp box shapes the signal most likely a little. mmm

I got a fine HD I/O lately so iam not have to worry much for that part,sure.

I'm not familiar with that particular product, but its perhaps not going to be quite as transparent as digital audio, no point to do extra AD/DA conversion if you don't need to.

I think gear like the Radial DI box is more meant for guys trying to reamp with hardware amps, that need a way to run their direct recording back into a hardware amp, at the proper impedance. Great thing about the Axe of course is that you can avoid all that and just keep things in the digital domain.

Again, it works going back into the front input of the Axe, but its a needless step that could be avoided.

Honestly, I wish my wireless had a digital output, so I could run straight into the Axe and skip the front instrument input. I'm turning the digital signal back to analog out of the wireless, then into the Axe, which then is converting it back to digital. Works fine, but its a step that I wish I could avoid.

I'm not familiar with that particular product, but its perhaps not going to be quite as transparent as digital audio, no point to do extra AD/DA conversion if you don't need to.

I think gear like the Radial DI box is more meant for guys trying to reamp with hardware amps, that need a way to run their direct recording back into a hardware amp, at the proper impedance. Great thing about the Axe of course is that you can avoid all that and just keep things in the digital domain.

Again, it works going back into the front input of the Axe, but its a needless step that could be avoided.

Honestly, I wish my wireless had a digital output, so I could run straight into the Axe and skip the front instrument input. I'm turning the digital signal back to analog out of the wireless, then into the Axe, which then is converting it back to digital. Works fine, but its a step that I wish I could avoid.

Alrighty, thanks for share your experience mister!
To stay digital would be a option maybe for me over AES, I will look.
What would be interesting is , the Axe Front Inst In is unbalanced.. Should I send my DI out XLR/TRS balanced to the front
Input then, just to maybe have the benefit of the "Secret Sauce" converter instead of using the balanced Input 1 on the Back?

That wold not make sense if you used the Axe to capture your raw file. It would have already been "secret sauced"!
But I want to add my "vote" to using the USB for re-amping. It is not only extremely easy, it is sample accurate. Makes for a very, very efficient way to test presets and finalize tracks.

balanced and unbalanced really doesn't make a difference unless your talking about long cable runs, which your aren't going to find in the typical studio setting. I run the balanced XLR to the board, because it can be a long run, and use the unbalanced outs of either output 1 (TS jacks) or via output 2 (if I want to have a front panel volume) for the monitors and it works fine.

I've also just ran output 1 via the unbalanced TS jacks, when I didn't have XLR cable, and again, sounded just fine. Nothing wrong with balanced jacks, and if you can use them, might as well use them, but 99% of the time its not going to make any difference and I wouldn't go out of my way to use them. Sometimes people get way too worried about little stuff like that.

Likewise, the "secret sauce" I don't think makes a huge difference. Does it hurt ? Nope, but I've run using both the front input, or the rear input, and never noticed a difference. Tons of people run their wireless into the rear input and still sound great. Now I personally have mine going into the front, just because I could, and again, "why not" but is it imperative ? No

Back
Top Bottom