Rave Review of AX8 in January 2017 issue of Guitar Player

Philo

They give it an "Editor's Pick"; only concern is no headphone output.

Reviewed mainly in comparison to the FX-2; no mention or comparison with the Helix.

Review is on pp. 82-83.

Philo

Re: lack of comparison - I'm glad article didn't join pointless dispute over illusionary supremacy. Music is not sports.

Reactions: Ole
It's no wonder the magazine gave it rave reviews, though I would ask why it wasn't reviewed sooner? All of the guitar publications should get word out.... & yes a headphone jack would have been nice for practicing guitarist to utilize the unit without any other device especially for me since I'm in a small room at home.

..a headphone jack would have been nice for practicing guitarist to utilize the unit without any other device especially for me since I'm in a small room at home.

A 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter is a literal $1.00 solution that most guitarists already own ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5390_doc1.jpg

Thanks Smittefar, your link to the discussion is very useful, FYI..I would never have tried to plug headphones into a guitar output jack balanced or unballanced like previously suggested for the obvious fact the signal quality would not be correct, to clear things up for Char my comment was to have a headphone circuit that taps into the output circuit of the AX8 complete with its own power amp volume etc. that way a pair of headphones would be an acceptable way of practicing with the unit in quality audiophile eliminating the need for additional hardware...

Sorry if my question is lame . Im new to AX8. I thought that AX8 doesn't have headphone output. You linked adapter as a solution for headphone?? Am I missing out something
The AX8's line outs will do usefully well at driving many headphones. You'll also need an insert (Y) cable if you want to hear stereo.

sorry I just tried that, it really sounds poor quality recommend getting a headphone amp of some sort so you can concentrate on sounds not obstructions...

I actually about to fire up my AX8 first time. Since Im waiting on monitors , I'm going to try connect my headphones through firewire interface. I assume it should work

sorry I just tried that, it really sounds poor quality recommend getting a headphone amp of some sort so you can concentrate on sounds not obstructions...
The quality is fine—identical to what you're feeding FOH. But there's not quite enough juice to adequately drive higher-impedance headphones.

Sorry if my question is lame . Im new to AX8. I thought that AX8 doesn't have headphone output. You linked adapter as a solution for headphone?? Am I missing out something

The thread i linked to specifically recommends to use a headphone amplifier - In this case, the FiiO A3 is recommended IIRC.

The quality is fine—identical to what you're feeding FOH. But there's not quite enough juice to adequately drive higher-impedance headphones.
Does it mean that audio interface serves as headphones amp when connecting headphones through audio interface. Thank you

The best solution I ever found was using a Zoom H5 (can be the old H4n, which is cheaper).

It has double duty: headphone amp using the monitoring headphone jack and portable recording:

Zoom H5 Four-Track Portable Recorder
Amazon product ASIN B00KCXMBES
Zoom H4N PRO Digital Multitrack Recorder - 2016 Version
Amazon product ASIN B01DPOXS8I
I also have a FiiO E6 headphone amp with a stereo cable just in case since it is so small it can go with the AX8 in the bag. You can also use the FiiO A1 because it is cheaper:

FiiO E6 Portable Audio Headphone Amplifier
Amazon product ASIN B005HJWWW8
FiiO A1 Portable Headphone Amplifier (Silver)
Amazon product ASIN B01CPUVPEM
Hosa CMP-153 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4 inch TS Stereo Breakout Cable, 3 feet
Amazon product ASIN B000068O3C

Back
Top Bottom