Randy Rhoads Altec 417-8H IR

from the James Santiago Collection (see my previous post)

Mics
Royer R-121 - "R-121"
This is a ribbon mic that sounds great for all sorts of different styles and tones.
It's a buttery sounding mic and also pairs well with the extended honk of old Shure SM-57s.

Royer R-101 - "R-101"
If you're looking for more girth and less sizzle on the top, this ribbon mic does the trick.

Shure Bros Unidyne III SM-57 - "U357"
This mic is very different from the current production of Shure mics made now. I have a few
of these older US made versions and they sound amazing when you find the right one. Try it
closer to the cone for sparkly clean sounds. If you want a warmer lead tone, use the "paper"
mic position.

Speakers
Altec 417-8H
These speakers are incredibly bright with an upper midrange bite that can
knock your head off. Randy Rhoads used these in his Marshall stacks with
incredible results. His pinch harmonics and percussive rhythms matched
perfectly with this speaker. A regular Celestion speaker just doesn't have the
high-end information that these Altecs can easily produce. They have a similar
extended top-end like the old JBL D-120 speakers, so they sound incredible for
clean sounds. In general, you’ll probably have to pull back the Treble (or Presence)
settings you're used to when using them. I use these speakers in a custom 2x12
half-open back cabinet.

REVIVING If possible does anyone have a newer version? I have a 2x12 417-8C cab for a 68 Bandmaster and I use it for many types and the highs are really great. I cannot find identical match to the 417 8C is the 8H close ??

Thanks

REVIVING If possible does anyone have a newer version? I have a 2x12 417-8C cab for a 68 Bandmaster and I use it for many types and the highs are really great. I cannot find identical match to the 417 8C is the 8H close ??

Thanks
The 8C is the ceramic magnet version, and the 8H is the Alnico magnet version. The H has the high frequency clarity that was a big part of Santana’s early (and current) Boogie tone, as well as Randy’s speaker of choice with Quiet Riot and Ozzy. I’ve not had the C, but have been told the H is brighter.

I’ve got a pair of them for sale at the moment on TGP if anyone is looking to try them. ;)

Back
Top Bottom