Ran as FX only with my head... sounds horrible!

saxxamafone

Inspired
i know this is user error, not sure what i'm doing wrong

when i try to use as fx only, the fx sound very weak with no volume.. even with the front knobs maxed
double checked my fx loop connections with the manual and they're right

then i wanted to hear how the axe sounded when bypassed... it colored my dry tone like you wouldn't believe.

This is the first time i've tried running the axe purely for fx and i've done something very wrong

can someone give me some tips?
PS, i'm not interested in trying the 4CM right now, just fx

cheers

Re: Ran as fx only in with my head... sounds horrible!

ok, changed input to 'analog rear' and that seemed to help with the sound of the fx

but when i press 'bypass' on the axe... it just sounds like digital mush
when i unhook the axe from the fx loop, it sounds great again

is there a way to fix this?
or do i need to use a true bypass looper to pull the axe-fx out of the signal chain when i want to run dry?

PS, the cables between the amp and axe are fine

You must have an issue with your levels..........I don't know what else it could be. I've used the AxeFx in front of my amps with great results and I've also used it in the 4CM with great results. The key is getting the gain structure right, everything has got to be seeing the proper levels or it will be a mess. It can take some time to get your levels right, but it's worth the effort.

p

Been awhile since I did this.

But I think what I did was set up a patch with just shunts (EFX loop, etc), and setup Axe-FX levels so it didn't change the amp tone/volume. THEN started adding FX.

One thing I did find is that it was a bit of a pain to get all those levels right, but I felt that way about my G-Major as well.

This may seem like a stupid question, but have you checked out the latest version of the AXE FX manual and/or the online AXE FX wiki? Was there anything in the connections section of the user's manual (towards the beginning) that gave tips for using the unit in the loop of an amp? Does the wiki have a section devoted to using the AXE FX this way? If so, does it have any tips?

Re: Ran as fx only in with my head... sounds horrible!

saxxamafone said:
ok, changed input to 'analog rear' and that seemed to help with the sound of the fx

but when i press 'bypass' on the axe... it just sounds like digital mush
when i unhook the axe from the fx loop, it sounds great again

is there a way to fix this?
or do i need to use a true bypass looper to pull the axe-fx out of the signal chain when i want to run dry?

PS, the cables between the amp and axe are fine

Try not using the bypass button but placing shunts across or just bypassing the effects in a preset.

ok, tried placing shunts across the entire patch and it still sounds the same as using the 'bypass' feature = digital processed sounding

when i plug direct to my head with nothing in the loop, it sounds great
soon as i place the axe-fx in the loop, i can't get an unprocessed sounding tone from my amp head

the head's fx mix knob is half way (how i've always run it)

when i turn the 'input' vol knob of the axe off, it sounds good
when i turn the 'input' vol knob up... it sounds horrible again

any suggestions?
any way to run the axe-fx as an fx only processor and NOT have to use a true bypass looper?

cheers

saxxamafone said:

There's the problem. You are running the axe in parallel, so when there is dry signal present in the axe, you get that weird, thin phasey sound. 2 possible solutions:

1 - run the mix knob all the way up (fx in series)
2 - run all the fx in the axe at 100% mix (no dry sound in the axe)

klaveguitars said:
saxxamafone said:

There's the problem. You are running the axe in parallel, so when there is dry signal present in the axe, you get that weird, thin phasey sound. 2 possible solutions:

Yup, I think he nailed it. With parrellel, it is mixing some of the dry signal in with your efx return, if your efx are not 100 percent all effect, it is also mixing in some of the dry signal, combining the dry from your efx, and the dry from your amp, will cause major phase issue's and or cancelation, and overall sound like poop.

I prefer to run fx in serial, that way I can set the wet/dry mix within the FX's itself, so I can programm some efx wetter then others, just turn your efx mix on yoru amp all the way up, hopefully its 100 percent making it seriel rather then parrellel. I had a mesa boogie amp that only allowed 90 percent wet mix, so there was always some dry mixed in when trying to run serial.

klaveguitars said:
saxxamafone said:

i was about to come back and say I tried running with the mix knob all the way up and it sounded MUCH better
:D

you guys were spot on

think i'll keep the mix knob all the way up and tweak my fx from there.
the axe-fx sounds very transparent in the loop of my head.

cheers for the help!

spent time today making patches that work with my head (as fx only) just in case this going direct to the FOH thing doesn't work out for me

Sounds killer as an fx only unit!!
very easy to setup

i plan to be able to run direct at this week's gig, but it's nice to know i've got some great patches dialled in with my head in case i have to run the tradional way and mic up my cab

got a big sound check too, so lookin forward to it

It sound like you have things working now... one thing I was going to suggest if you were still having trouble would be to change the phase of the output under the Global settings.

Back
Top Bottom