Rainbow - Kill The King

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
Marshall JVM410 with 4x122 Recto V30 (RW) Warmoth Strat with Kinman Woodstock Plus pickups & K9 harness
Warmoth Strat Cherry Sunburst.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks.
It's a 1993 Warmoth Strat.
The body is mahogany with a quilted maple top.
The neck is AAA birdseye maple.
Kinman Woodstock Plus Set pickups.

I've got another one more recently (2009) that I bought from the stocklist.
Body is Ash with wild quilt top
Neck is unfinished Indian Rosewood with an Ebony fretboard.
Kinman Woodstock Set pickups.
The difference in both sets is that the Plus has a hotter bridge pickup.
Warmoth%20Strat%20Blackburst.jpg

Merçi marcmesa.
Is one of your Warmoths the one in your avatar?
I also got a soloist model, the same time I got the cherry sunburst strat.
Those two have been my main guitars for a long time but now got some others to choose from ;)
I see you're from the Voiron.
Nice.A few years back, my brother in law and I went to Fréjus on our motorbikes and we passed Grenoble and took the Route Napoleon.
Just beautiful.
I hope to go back there again.

Merçi marcmesa.
Is one of your Warmoths the one in your avatar?
I also got a soloist model, the same time I got the cherry sunburst strat.
Those two have been my main guitars for a long time but now got some others to choose from ;)
I see you're from the Voiron.
Nice.A few years back, my brother in law and I went to Fréjus on our motorbikes and we passed Grenoble and took the Route Napoleon.
Just beautiful.
I hope to go back there again.

No, my avatar is not one of my Warmoth ...

I actually live in a beautiful region

Thank you for the patch

Wow, nice Valley Arts lookalike... :) The other one is lovely too.
Let me know if you need another impatient son... ;)

Last edited:
Is it just the JVM, or did you attempt to replicate Ritchie's signal chain from back then? In the mid-70's he ran his guitar into an AIWA TP-1011 reel to reel, which fed a Vox AC30. The Vox was slaved into a Marshall Major. The preamp section of the Major was bypassed. The AIWA came in around the DP Burn album. Before that he used a Dallas Rangemaster treble booster.

Your patch is very close to the real deal.

jp

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
I didn't try to replicate Blackmore's setup.
I was looking for some amps with KT-88 tubes though because I thought that would get me closer to the Marshall Major.
I was just testing some new amp/speaker combinations when reading about the JVM410 on the WIKI-page.
It said:
"the reason the JVM sounds good is the plate cap on the second-to-last triode. That smooths out the tone considerably"
It's the smooth bit that got my attention.
So I gave it a try.
Perhaps I'll try to replicate the tape delay to get that effect like on Mistreated on On Stage.
I've always liked Blackmore. I think he's one of the most underrated guitar players and especially composers of all times.
For me he is the true riffmeister ;)
I liked all singers.
Dio never sounded better than with Rainbow.
Graham Bonnet is one of my favourites although he doesn't look like a true rocker ;)
But I never heard anyone with the range an power he has.
I did like Doogie White a bit better than JL Turner though

BTW If anyone in the Belgium region is interested in starting a Deep Purple/RAinbow tribute band, gimme a call!

Please use [noparse][soundcloud]value[/soundcloud][/noparse] instead of [noparse][/noparse] when posting soundcloud clips. Otherwise it won't load.

Great clip btw, sound and playing! Keep those clips coming!

Nice job!! I love this tune so much. My band learned it and we absolutely kicked ass on it. First time we played it in front of an audience, you could hear crickets when we were done. I was like, WTF is wrong with you people, that tune is one of the greatest of all time. I think maybe we stunned them :eek:. Unfortunately after that response, the rest of the band voted to drop it. What a shame, because it's not only a great tune, it's fun as hell to play :)

Anyone having problems with this patch? When I load it, I get silence. If I replace everything except amp and cab with shunts (even though they're all bypassed), it works. Or, if go into every block and fiddle with mix/level settings - just bump them off where they're currently set and return them to the same value - it eventually works.

I've downloaded and tried several times....weird.

It's close, but not there... yet.

First, your pickups have way too much meat compared to Blackmore's. I had the same pickups a while ago. You might want to turn down mids with a pedal eq before the amp. It worked for me.

Second, I find that his tone has quite a bit of modulation. I find that Axe 2's tape delay module does a good job replicating that. What I do is, I insert it before the amp, first thing in the chain, turn down delay all the way down to 1ms and turn down dry signal completely. ( You can actually eq the delay for my first point above. Two birds with one stone.)

Third, turn up the damping setting on Marshall, it really helps.

Four, use H30 speakers. That's his favorite speaker.

How good does your recording sound? By all means, perfect. But if you want to get closer to Blackmore's tone, read above. LOL.

Thanks for the tips oacikgoz. I wasn't trying to replicate Blackmore's tone. I was just fiddling around with some amp models and it struck me that this was quite close to his "Long Live Rock'n'Roll" album tone. You're right about the modulation. I quite like that too and that's something I would like to replicate but haven't quite figured it out yet. I especially like the effects on the intro of "The Shed". About the pickups. The black Warmoth would perhaps have been a bit better since the bridge pickup isn't as hot but I prefered the brighter sound from the maple neck.

Back
Top Bottom