rackmount midi merger and XLR split/merge

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
I've been looking for a midi merger to allow me to use both the editor and my midi-pedal simultaneously.
The only thing I've found is form Midi Solutions.
Does anybody know of a similar thing that's rackmount?
I'm using two powered monitors and use the line out to go to the FOH.
But I want to be able to connect a microphone as well.
So this is what I want to do:

Axe left ____LEM1 in __Line out ___FOH

Axe right_______________FOH
\
\______LEM1 in
/
microphone__/__________FOH

I've found these:
Samson Ssplit and SMerge.
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1748&brandID=2
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1749&brandID=2
I was wondering if there's also a rackmount solution for this
perhaps this one from Samson as well:
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1756&brandID=2

Thanks JJ,

For a midi-rackmount unit I was looking at something that combined both a merger and a splitter.
I've been thinking about using the second outputs to go to the FOH as well.
I don't know if anyone has experience with this.
I didn't want to do it because the output 2 is unballanced.
I don't know if that makes a big difference.
I guess I'll just have to try.

For the second out to the FOH all you need is a direct box.

Am I the only one that's confused here?

You start by asking about midi-merge (a combining of two separate data streams, mid-split is a nonsensical concept) but then you present examples of audio-merge and audio-duplicator (it's not possible to "split" a combined audio signal into two separate things). Lot's of companies make midi-merge and rack mount midi-merge, but there are grossly excessive for the stated intended use.

Midi and Audio are two separate streams. If all you want to do is combine two audio signals then any mixer (or the Samson Smerge) does exactly this. Any mid-priced computer interface (ex MOTU UltraLight) would include this function along with many other functions.

If all you need to do is add a microphone to the FOH, then send a microphone to FOH. Why combine it with the AxeFx output? I'm lost as to what you are asking, or rather what it sounds like you are asking makes no sense to me.

cheers,

I'm talking about two different things.
Sorry about the confusion.
First I want a midi-merger to combine the midi from the editor and the footcontroller.
I don't need a midi splitter now since only the editor needs midi returned from the Axe-FX.

For the audio part.
I use two floor monitors. Both have a link out.So from one output I can go to the FOH
But for the second I want to combine it with a microphone.
This is because our PA has only 3 channels for monitoring and I only want my own vocals in the monitor.
So this is why i first want to split the right channel from the axe-FX to send one channel to the FOH and the other one to a xlr-merger to combine with the microphone.
The signal from the microphone has to be split - one side to the FOH and the other to be XLR-merger.

MisterE said:
For the audio part.
I use two floor monitors. Both have a link out.So from one output I can go to the FOH
But for the second I want to combine it with a microphone.
This is because our PA has only 3 channels for monitoring and I only want my own vocals in the monitor.
So this is why i first want to split the right channel from the axe-FX to send one channel to the FOH and the other one to a xlr-merger to combine with the microphone.
The signal from the microphone has to be split - one side to the FOH and the other to be XLR-merger.

A mini mixer will do all of this and more (like let you control the levels). I use a MOTU 828mk3 but anything along those lines or even a simple mini-audio mixer would be a better way to go (I would think) than some kind of audio merge that wouldn't let you control levels and eq. Solutions are cheap so there's no need to suffer with a system that doesn't do everything you want.

cheers,

Most mini mixers have only two outs whereas I need three.
I would need a matrix mixer of some sort.

These seem like very nice units but a bit to complicated for what I need.
Perhaps if I was interested in using them for recording.
Thanks for your input anyway guys.

MisterE said:
First I want a midi-merger to combine the midi from the editor and the footcontroller.

LarsB warned us NOT to use Editor & Footcontroller together - this can
and will bring a lot of trouble.....

I use a MOTU MIDI Express XT. It is much more cost effective than by the MIDI Solutions rack stuff - the MIDI Solutions units are very limited and they're 200 bucks a piece. The MIDI Express XT is $350 new but they can be had for under $100 all the time - here's one fo 60 bucks right here (if you hurry):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0324097723

You hook it up straight to your computer via USB. It is a complete MIDI router - you can use it with or without a computer. It also has a MIDI IN/OUT on the front panel so you don't have to reach around to the back of the rack to plug in your foot controller.

dongrosh said:
MisterE said:

Uh Oh...........I read quite a lot of these threads and I have not come across this warning.

Can anyone comment or advise on gear that can effectively permit you to use the Editor AND a midi-footcontroller(GCP)? Any thoughts appreciated.

mpauster said:
dongrosh said:
MisterE said:

I imagine this is only true if you are editing, then hit some buttons on the FC which mess up the Axe's state, and then go back to the editor. You should still be able to hook and FC and the editor up to the Axe at the same time via a merger ( or a thru on your footcontroller if it has such a thing), just be careful about using at the same time.

"a lot of trouble" basically means -- screwy (or more likely, just out-of-sync) parameters. I highly highly highly highly doubt it could cause any permanent harm.

Can we not just use the midi thru on my midi sport? I have a steinburg Midex 8 would this enable me to use my allacces and the editor simultainously?

thanks...

I was thinking this myself and wondering too if there was a way so that i don't need to unhook my midi interface wires when i want to use my footcontroller, as they both need the midi IN on back of the AXE FX...not a big deal i guess

I've got a MOTU Micro Express ordered off ebay... supposedly it will work, because it will let you merge the inputs whether or not they're connected to the computer...

I'll let you know, hopefully it won't fail like my 3 other attempts to get MIDI working right..

JustinAiken said:
I've got a MOTU Micro Express ordered off ebay... supposedly it will work, because it will let you merge the inputs whether or not they're connected to the computer...

I'll let you know, hopefully it won't fail like my 3 other attempts to get MIDI working right..

I use the MOTU MIDI express for this exact purpose and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom