rack mount wireless suggestions? (not line 6)

mgavin

Experienced
what is the best wireless rackmount system? what is the most expensive? are they one in the same? I refuse to buy line 6 so any other suggestions would be great. thanks in advance.

what is the best wireless rackmount system? what is the most expensive? are they one in the same? I refuse to buy line 6 so any other suggestions would be great. thanks in advance.

I have been using the Shure ULXS4 for probably about 4 years now, never a glitch. Solid reception, easy to setup, no sound artifacts, no interfearance, etc... I actually have 2 of them mounted in my rack, one for a microphone, one for instruments.

Steve

Sort of rack mounted...

I have the X2 Wireless, the original unit they made before Line 6 bought them out. I have the AC Powered version, the XDS Plus, I believe it is called. It works very well, and is an interesting alternative as you can either put the steel cased receiver on your pedal board (it is about the size of a TC 2290 Chorus), or velcro it (as I do) in a 1 space rack shelf and put it in your rack. The unit is no longer made, and the Line 6 isn't exactly the same, but it is available here and there at a decent price.

They did also make a rack version, but it is much more rare to see them. There was also a cheaper one (XDS95) but it was all plastic and just didn't seem like it would hold up, not to mention it was battery powered on both ends.

I like it so much I bought a second unit to use if this one ever craps out!

You can rack mount just about anything that you decide on.... Use a rack shelf and put it between two other units in the rack with the antennas in front. Velcro/dualock/zip tie it to the shelf and the unit above it will also hold it in place. I have done that with several different units. Shure SLX and Sennheiser G2 are what I currently have racked that way.

But honestly... I also own a Line 6 G50. I bought during our gear theft fiasco last summer. HANDS DOWN the most reliable best sounding wireless unit I have ever used. No hassles. Truly plug and play and it sounds like a cable. I'm getting another one very soon and will retire my Shure and Sennheiser units.

IF you can find one, the AKG SR4000 and the PT4000. Discontinued now but a fantastic setup. I own this setup and very nice. 13hrs. on fresh AA bateries. Very transparent. Couldn't tell the difference between this and cables. Probably can be had for less than half of retail now. Rock bottom street price was around $1200.00 or so, I believe. Not sure what product replace it. Specs can still be found at the AKG site.

SR 4000 (Discontinued)

PT 4000 (Discontinued)

Last edited:
I've been running a Sennheiser EW 172 G2 series for quite a few years with out any problems. The new G3 series looks pretty nice and doesn't broadcast in the 2 gig range which is where everything is broadcasting now days and has a few extra bells and whistles. The rack mount is extra though but for the money I would pit it against the Line 6 Relay.

Lectrosonic ... most expensive, best, etc ...

I wish I had that kind of dough :(

The sound of these units is amazingly - hmmm - yes, not there. There's no sound except what you put in it.

Maybe the new Shure digital is as good. Didn't get to try it.

anybody ever hear of these? i was like wow this thing sounds amazing and it's exactly what i want as it's a 1u rack, but the body pack looks like it's 2,500 dollars on top of the 5,500 D:

but then again the bodypack looks like it doesn't have a 1/4 in, how do you hook these up to your guitar? do i even need that body pack? i hope not.....

Sennheiser EM 3732-II Twin Rackmount Wireless RF Receiver - N Freq. (614 - 698 MHZ)

Sennheiser SK 5212-A Miniature Wireless Bodypack Transmitter - 450/580 MHZ

btw for my purposes i don't sing, only guitar....

Last edited:
I would gather if your working in a highly crowded RF environment I could see the expenditure, it just seems way over kill just to have an expensive rack mount for your average gig. Do you gig professionally? RF wise I have played in some busy places in Pasadena CA and never had an issue with my cheep EW. If I were a pro and gigged all over then I might consider that unit. But hey if you have the coin...

was also wondering about this one, it has an AES output which can be connected cleanly at the back of the Axe thru the AES input. wondering what it will sound like :?

anybody ever hear of these? i was like wow this thing sounds amazing and it's exactly what i want as it's a 1u rack, but the body pack looks like it's 2,500 dollars on top of the 5,500 D:

but then again the bodypack looks like it doesn't have a 1/4 in, how do you hook these up to your guitar? do i even need that body pack? i hope not.....

Sennheiser EM 3732-II Twin Rackmount Wireless RF Receiver - N Freq. (614 - 698 MHZ)

Sennheiser SK 5212-A Miniature Wireless Bodypack Transmitter - 450/580 MHZ

btw for my purposes i don't sing, only guitar....

yep i see that, but how would you hook up the bodypack to the guitar though? will it work? or is it only for wireless microphones?

I recently sold my Line 6 Relay G90 as it sucked something from my tone and I couldn't nail down how to fix it... and it was incredibly noisy in my rack when coupled with my Axe-II (although I didn't have that particular problem with my Ultra). Now I have a Sennheiser EW572 G3 and I couldn't be happier.

what's the difference between L frequency and N frequency? I'm guessing International won't work in the united states?

Back
Top Bottom