Rack for my Axe-Fx III. Help needed!

Mark Pritchard

Experienced
Hi all,

I am about to pull the trigger on a rack for my Axe-Fx, it is purely for my home setup. I think i am going to get an SKB shallow rack but i'm not sure if i should get a 3U or 4U as i see most people have a power conditioner in their setup.

Do you think i need a power conditioner with my setup? I live in England and just have my Mac, my studio monitors, my Axe-Fx and i might have my AX8 plugged in too.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm playing for more than 50 years now. Living in Germany.
Never used a power conditioner. Never missed one. Never missed one in UK, too.

But a 4U case has another benefit you probably might think of.

I have 2 wireless receivers in 1U above my AXE III. So I can get rid off clumsy cables.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I recently ditched my Furman and moved to a 3 unit rack. My back thanks me.
Most power conditioners are nothing more than an overpriced power strip with an RCD on them.
If you are not getting a higher end one there is no point unless it powers a whole lot of other things as well for you and makes sense for other reasons.
IU wont make a huge difference.

I have a 4U because thats what answered my wtb.

I also have an rf/iso furman power bar that everything gets plugged into.
I'm playing for more than 50 years now. Living in Germany.
Never used a power conditioner. Never missed one. Never missed one in UK, too.

But a 4U case has another benefit you problably might think of.

I have 2 wireless receivers in 1U above my AXE III. So I can get rid off clumsy cables.

Thanks for all your inputs, i guess there is no real need for one then but i'm wondering whether to go for the 4U just in case i might need another rack space in the future. Hmm.......

Thanks guys.

Like they say Mark....better to have it and not need it....... than the alternative. ;)

I like having the power strip in there as I run my Axe, wireless and Freqout off there.... one stop shopping.

I just grabbed the cheap one from Musicians Friend....ended up being around $25 on sale
If you cared you could seek out the thinnest, lightest one....as it does add weight to the overall rig.
I plan on mounting my wireless and Frequent to the back lid then I can just flip it up and go.

Like they say Mark....better to have it and not need it....... than the alternative. ;)

I like having the power strip in there as I run my Axe, wireless and Freqout off there.... one stop shopping.

I just grabbed the cheap one from Musicians Friend....ended up being around $25 on sale
If you cared you could seek out the thinnest, lightest one....as it does add weight to the overall rig.
I plan on mounting my wireless and Frequent to the back lid then I can just flip it up and go.
This is very true mate, i suppose there is no harm having one if i was to get one.

I think i will go for the 4U rack, then i always have an option. I will have a look around and see whats available.

Thanks buddy.

I want the case FAS uses in their IG posts, but it's completely unnecessary (I have a rack) so it will stay in the "want" column.

I had a 3U (12" deep) case built from nycpedalboards.com. I've since recessed the rails so the Axe sits in the case deeper. Here is a photo of before I recessed the rails.

image0.jpeg

I can post a photo of what it looks like now, if interested. I also have a 4U case on it's way to accommodate my power amp so the 3U may be up for sale soon.

I had a 3U (12" deep) case built from nycpedalboards.com. I've since recessed the rails so the Axe sits in the case deeper. Here is a photo of before I recessed the rails.

View attachment 65713

I can post a photo of what it looks like now, if interested. I also have a 4U case on it's way to accommodate my power amp so the 3U may be up for sale soon.
That looks very cool, they done a very good job on that.

I have ordered a 4U rack though as i thought it might be best to leave a slot just in case. Thanks anyway though.

Back
Top Bottom