RAC12 - New limited series batch launched

Just a quick testimonial for you guys;

We rarely get much soundcheck time live so I often need to tweak tones on the fly early on in the night.
This was manageable with real backline & pedals but was a deal breaker for me with AxeFX.
RAC12 changed all of that. AxeFX is now as manageable as my old rig *PLUS* I no longer have to bend down to tweak the pedals!

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Question for @AlGrenadine - is it possible to change pages based on CC messages from the mfc? I'm wondering if changing scenes or activating effects with IA switches can change the RAC12 to another page (e.g, hit chorus pedal, see chorus page on RAC12).

Also a software request - provide a way to change all/multiple values for the preset/page mapping. Would be nice to have them all set to none (or some other default) and then enable for whichever preset I want to have a different setting for, without having to go through all 768 presets myself :eek:

Great work on this though!

Question for @AlGrenadine - is it possible to change pages based on CC messages from the mfc? I'm wondering if changing scenes or activating effects with IA switches can change the RAC12 to another page (e.g, hit chorus pedal, see chorus page on RAC12).

Also a software request - provide a way to change all/multiple values for the preset/page mapping. Would be nice to have them all set to none (or some other default) and then enable for whichever preset I want to have a different setting for, without having to go through all 768 presets myself :eek:

Great work on this though!
Good ideas :)

Hi Guys, question for @AlGrenadine or indeed any of you with the same issue. My RAC12 quits the knob screen whenever a message comes from the MIDI Merge port. It still happens when I'm halfway through changing a parameter. It's nearly impossible to change a secondary parameter (accessible by pressing a knob), as the illustration quits back to the screen, and continuing to turn the knob then changes the default parameter.

I have a RAC12, FCB1010 with EurekaPROM 3 and an AXE II. I've plugged in as per the RAC12 manual and things work okay, but my problem is the EurekaPROM seems to send a message every second (the Orange Merge and Red Out Lights blink on the RAC12). When this happens, the RAC12 quits the knob illustration.

This problem does not happen when the FCB1010 is not plugged in. The RAC12 works perfect standalone.

I see a few potential fixes:
  • Buy a separate midi merger box, plug in the RAC12 out and FCB out. This way, the RAC12 won't be interrupted by the FCB messages. Would something like this work?
  • Is there a software update from RAC12 coming to fix the issue?
More Info: FCB1010 doesn't have a merge port, So I can't go RAC12 -> FCB1010 <-> AXE. I have tried with the Axe midi channel set to OMNI, or channel 1 (FCB does nothing on the other channels), MIDI THRU is set to 'OFF'. On RAC12, Knob screen timeout is set to 5000ms.

As a side note, I'm a first time commenter but long time read of the forums. apologies if this has been answered, but I've had a good search with no luck. Pictures below are the AXE & RAC12 with the lights on, and the whole rig; WDW setup with a matrix GT1500FXBD, 2 Matrix Q12's left right and an open-back Orange 2x12 in the middle to fill out the room with the real "amp in the room" feel. Love it to bits.IMG_5076.JPG
IMG_5082.JPG

Thanks for the speedy reply Al. The EurekaPROM guys got back to me too, and it sends a message every second to probe the Axe FX effects state to enable its LEDs to match the on/off state in the Axe FX. I can "turn this feature off " by unplugging the return cable to the FCB1010 (the PROM will recognise this and stop probing for effects state), but then the LEDs will not auto illuminate to show on/off state of effects. This is especially useful when changing scenes.

Is there anything I can do on the RAC12 to make it simply pass messages from the "merge port" to the "MIDI out port" without it resetting the screen?

If not that's okay, the answer would be a separate MIDI merge downstream like the "MIDI Solutions 2-In/1-Out MIDI Merger", about $200 (Aussie) including cabling, as I'd need a Y cable and power supply for the merge box as I understand the RAC12 wouldn't be sending MIDI power through the "MIDI Out" Port?

Ok i see, i'll have to take a look at the code and may be able to fix this for you. Do you know what midi message is actually beeing sent by the fcb to probe the effects states ?

Please give me the logfile (in RAC12Edit Ctrl+L command)

Last edited:
Thanks again Al. Logfile is below. It keeps repeating the same 2 lines. I'm also awaiting a response from EurekaPROM about the polling messages.

Merging sysex : F0 0 1 74 3 E 8 F7
Received not asked Scene : 1

Hi Guys -
The EurekaPROM enables 'beacon mode' in the Fractal to force the Axe to send an update of the effect states so we can light the appropriate pedal LEDs. It does this every second so if someone changes a setting on the Axe front panel, it will be reflected on the FCB.
Kemper describes beacon mode in their MIDI spec, and I can provide any other details needed .
-matt

Hi guys, ive done a little more fiddling, and found it is when the axe sends this update (as opposed to when a message arrives in the merge port) that the RAC12 quits the knob illustration.

I can rock forward and back on the expression pedal and the RAC12 orange "merge" light will illuminate while the knob is illustrated, no problem. Its when the RAC12 red "out" light flashes that the knob screen quits every second.

I suppose therefore that the RAC12 does two-way communication between the RAC12 "Out" and Axe "In" over a single cable (thats how it must know when i change patches etc). So when the EurekaPROM sends its request, the axe responds with a message out of both its MIDI ports. I assume this also means that a separate MIDI merge would not work, because this would only allow one-way communication between the RAC12 and Axe?

Seems like my options are as follows:
- wire up a switch on my rig to choose between RAC12 or FCB at any given time
- hope that a solution in RAC12 software would be possible (i am a mechatronics engineering graduate myself and understand this could be very time consuming and maybe not worth the effort)
- sell the FCB and EurekaPROM and save money for the next few months for a MFC-101 and some Mission expression pedals

Hi
Yes rac12 midi comms are bidirectional.
I've reviewed my code and could not find what would make it cancel screensaver mode, i have to investigate more but have a lot of things in the pipes right now

I've been having some odd issues with my RAC12 recently. I'm using a Mk II Axe II with the last Q3 firmware (Q4 just came out today, but I haven't upgraded yet), and the latest RAC12 firmware (as of last week).

When I load a new preset, the RAC12 will jump to a different page. Preset 001 loads page 1 on the RAC12. Preset 002, page 2. Etc.

On some presets, everything loads OK, but on most of them, all of the parameters on the RAC12 are listed as "N/A," even though there's a block present. For example, Preset 021 jumps to page 5, and all of the pages are listed as "N/A" even though I do have blocks for all of them. On page 1, my AMP block page, everything is N/A on first load, but if I use the RAC12 to switch X/Y states (I have the M.V. set to do that on single press), it'll then load all the parameters for the Y state, and when I switch back, all of the X state parameters correctly load. However, if I change to another preset and back again, everything reverts back to "N/A."

When I load a new preset, the RAC12 will jump to a different page. Preset 001 loads page 1 on the RAC12. Preset 002, page 2. Etc.

Sounds to me like maybe you've stumbled on "Page Mapping" accidentally and turned on "Map On/Off" inadvertently? Try doing a long press on knob "2"** and see if turns off page mapping... suspect that's why you're seeing the behavior of pages changing on PC change from preset (check chapter 7 of the manual for a description of Page Mapping and how to set up the map table, can actually be a useful feature when you know it's happening, but a bit jarring when you don't admitedly. It's a gotcha that caught me out the first time ;) ).

Can't really speak to why you might be seeing N/As on pages that had the block in the preset unless maybe it's an Amp1 vs Amp2 thing, might be worth trying the "Next Instrument" feature (try clicking "Level" knob once** to see if cycling to the next numeric version of the block turns those N/As to actual knob values?)

**All that is of course assuming you haven't changed the config for the single/double/long clicks of the knobs, if you have you'll wanna go with whatever you set the "Map On/Off" and "Next Inst" to.

Last edited:
Thanks again Al. Logfile is below. It keeps repeating the same 2 lines. I'm also awaiting a response from EurekaPROM about the polling messages.

Ok i've understood what happened. The FCB send a query_states every second in order to get blocks bypass states. But this query also triggers a scene sysex to be send by the axefx, thus the rac12 receives a scene message and exits the knob screen.
Should be fixable for the next firmware ;)

Update on my problem: Looks like unchecking "Page Mapping" not only fixed the surprise page mapping (duh), but it also fixed the issue with the parameters all polling as "N/A."

Update on my problem: Looks like unchecking "Page Mapping" not only fixed the surprise page mapping (duh), but it also fixed the issue with the parameters all polling as "N/A."
Unchecking page mapping disables page mapping, surprise? ^^

Back
Top Bottom