Quick test of A/D noise with a cranked EVH III 100 watt

javajunkie

I cranked ch 3 of the 5150 III. Gain all the way up, volume at ~80%. No playing so the background noise can be heard clearly. Gate is off on the Fx-8.

This is using the 4 cable method with humbucker, Guitar-FX8- EVH (with fx-8 in loop) - Torpedo Live.

This is
1. Fx-8 no bypass
2. Fx-8 pre and post bypassed
3. Fx-8 post bypassed
4. Fx-8 pre bypassed

http://javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/fx8_noise_comparison.wav

Last edited:
That's quite remarkable. I could not get those results with the axe fx 2 xl. A couple of quick questions:

1. Has the fx-8 been designed differently so that is quieter in the 4cm compared to the axe fx2 xl?

2. Are you you using humbuster cables?

3. Is there a boost/pad setting in the fx-8 that you are using?

Thanks

That's quite remarkable. I could not get those results with the axe fx 2 xl. A couple of quick questions:

1. Has the fx-8 been designed differently so that is quieter in the 4cm compared to the axe fx2 xl?

2. Are you you using humbuster cables?

3. Is there a boost/pad setting in the fx-8 that you are using?

Thanks

1. It seems so from what Cliff has stated.
2. Yes
3. Default pad settings.

2 Humbuster cables or do you need 3? Obviously the cable from the guitar into the FX8 doesn't need to be.
But what about the FX8>Amp Input? I would assume the Amp Loop inputs need the Humbusters.

2 Humbuster cables or do you need 3? Obviously the cable from the guitar into the FX8 doesn't need to be.
But what about the FX8>Amp Input? I would assume the Amp Loop inputs need the Humbusters.

2 - one for pre out to the amp input and one for post out to return of the loop.

Back
Top Bottom