Quick stupid question.

Triaxis75

Inspired
I recently had my guitar setup by a "quality" repairman. String height is like a damn piano now so i have to adjust the bridge lower (you can literally see the bottom of the bridge hovering above the body). This is a floating bridge, ....do you have to loosen the string tension (detune) in order to lower the bridge correctly? Thanks in advance!

It’s a good idea to completely loosen the strings AND take the springs out from the back if you’re making any dramatic changes to the height of the trem posts because excessive grinding may damage the knife edges on the trem. The idea is to have little to no resistance on the posts when turning them so as to avoid damage.

Seems like a lot of work to gradually adjust a bridge. Will prolly need multiple attempts to get it right.

Seems like a lot of work to gradually adjust a bridge. Will prolly need multiple attempts to get it right.
A good starting point is to have a rough estimate of how much you need to lower the action by. If you need to lower it by 0.5mm, then take the springs out, lower the posts by 0.5mm and then re-install the springs. If you find that you need to lower or raise the trem posts slightly, then you can make that micro-adjustment with the springs and strings still under tension since it wouldn't be as dramatic a movement. Hope this makes sense?

excessive grinding may damage the knife edges on the trem
i never understood this theory - piece of advice that has been circulating forums lately. doesnt the whole bridge move and "grind" against the posts when you actually use it? i'm sure the subtle movement - friction of lowering the posts is way softer than the actual use it is designed for...
personally i just move the posts without any other precaution and i've never had any problem with ibanez, schaller or floyd rose tremolos that i 've owned/own

It is. You don’t want that knife edge damaged at all or it won’t sit properly at neutral. Floating bridges are a technical marvel that we take for granted. But so much depends on that thin point of contact.

On one of my first floating trem guitars I adjusted the posts at tension and the knife edge chipped off and it was useless.

i never understood this theory - piece of advice that has been circulating forums lately. doesnt the whole bridge move and "grind" against the posts when you actually use it? i'm sure the subtle movement - friction of lowering the posts is way softer than the actual use it is designed for...
personally i just move the posts without any other precaution and i've never had any problem with ibanez, schaller or floyd rose tremolos that i 've owned/own
Yeah I don't think it's necessary to loosen the springs every time you need to make adjustments, but having ruined the knife edges and posts on one low-end Ibanez Edge III by adjusting the thing like crazy while under tension, I'd rather give out advice that is on the safer side than to have someone damage their guitar based on what I told them. I don't follow this advise for my Original Edge/Edge Zero guitars myself, but for trems that use cheaper metal, it's probably better to adjust it without much tension on.

I don't know what guitar/trem system OP is referring to here, so I'd rather them be careful than brash like I was with my cheaper guitars all those years ago!

Back
Top Bottom