Quick Short Peek at what Axe-FX II Firmware v3.0 brings to the table...

I used to own a Marshall JUBILEE 2553 which has a 50/25 watt switch.

i used to have one of those with the 2x12 slant fronted cab. bought it new in 1987 in a little music shop in london (traded in my ac30 for it). stupidly sold it when i moved to rack stuff. terrific sounding amp...wish i still had it.

+1 :) and even suffer the process of translating them to the II... I'd even send you a copy back for for your II when you get .. :)

the idea of translating my whole sound set to the II is really putting me off...i hope there's some sort of translation software in the works...even if it just ports over the fx, i'd be happy...i only use one or two amps for the effected stuff, anyway. i might have to take you up on that offer, Neo! sit back, relax, let Neo do all the work...ah yes, i'm liking the sound of that....! :)

ok...so...is that V3 rockin' or what...!

:)

the idea of translating my whole sound set to the II is really putting me off...i hope there's some sort of translation software in the works...even if it just ports over the fx, i'd be happy...i only use one or two amps for the effected stuff, anyway.
:)
don't mean to discourage you, but there's no point in a real 100% "translation" software, as there are so many new parameters, that you'd have to adjust everything anyway. I ported most of my old effects from my Ultra by using two open editors and dialing it by hand, but like I said, there's no way around to tweak the new (and improved) parameters. the old amp settings can go out of the window anyway...entirely new beast ;)

don't mean to discourage you, but there's no point in a real 100% "translation" software, as there are so many new parameters, that you'd have to adjust everything anyway. I ported most of my old effects from my Ultra by using two open editors and dialing it by hand, but like I said, there's no way around to tweak the new (and improved) parameters. the old amp settings can go out of the window anyway...entirely new beast ;)

He's right.

I guarantee - and I understand how it looks/sounds/appears to Gen1 owners - that two open editors and some ears will get you far in translating your presets... but after about even an hour (assuming you have understanding of how to program the Ultra... you'll understand how/why this is an unfounded fear. You can program far better, deeper, faster and more efficiently just working with your ears.

If you have mastered programming the Axe-FX Gen1 to your satisfaction, then you will be a happy guy once you get 'into' the II.

And I know how that reads from an 'outside' perspective; but I stand by it diligently as I have from the beginning. I was in the 'I have to be able to translate my patches exactly' camp... till I tried the II, did use the two open editors system to get rocking... you'll move so fast within the II using this manner and get beyond what you 'could' do into things you will find more satisfying. The II does more, in different ways. The modeling engine is completely new. The effect algorithms are in almost every case better. I cannot imagine finding anyone deep into the II that could not get - at least - what they were doing in the Gen1 that they miss or felt the II lacked.

He's right.

And I know how that reads from an 'outside' perspective; but I stand by it diligently as I have from the beginning. I was in the 'I have to be able to translate my patches exactly' camp... till I tried the II, did use the two open editors system to get rocking... you'll move so fast within the II using this manner and get beyond what you 'could' do into things you will find more satisfying. The II does more, in different ways. The modeling engine is completely new. The effect algorithms are in almost every case better. I cannot imagine finding anyone deep into the II that could not get - at least - what they were doing in the Gen1 that they miss or felt the II lacked.
"Yes" to that ! I wasn't worried so much about my amp tones, since it was clear from the beginning that they'd have to be redone entirely, but my effects. I'm very specific about my effects, have a library of 150+ different settings I use and it was really no problem. check on one editor to get you in the ballpark of the old block, adjust the new parameters in the II editor and in 95% I ended with even better results.

i hears ya. for me, just having two editors open so i can see effect order, routing and mix levels would be enough and i hadn't even thought of that idea. i probably wouldn't even bother to replicate most of my patches anyway, just the really good ones i use a lot. i think it's just how much time i imagine it would take me that's putting me off and that's probably less than i think it is.

i hears ya. for me, just having two editors open so i can see effect order, routing and mix levels would be enough and i hadn't even thought of that idea. i probably wouldn't even bother to replicate most of my patches anyway, just the really good ones i use a lot. i think it's just how much time i imagine it would take me that's putting me off and that's probably less than i think it is.

With someone of your grasp of programming from the Gen1... you'd do it so fast and 'catch on' so fast that you'll chuckle at your reservations after the first hour. It's more robust and efficient by magnitudes of difference.

wow, those clips were AMAZING!!!! :eek: there IS more meat there! I used to have a couple tube preamps working with the axe to really get that phatt cranked tube tone, but I can tell I DEF will not need that with the II :eek: Truly amazing!

Picked and sparsely strummed stuff sounds INCREDIBLE!!! :eek: I CANNOT believe this is a piece of digital gear!!!
The more busy parts seemed to get a little lost for some reason tho....

...The more busy parts seemed to get a little lost for some reason tho....

Enter mp3 compression. It kills the dynamics and openness. When you push it and the tone naturally compresses in the room, it does not get lost in the mix. I have listened critically in live situations now for over a week... it's different than before and I promise you... does not get lost even in the busiest mix in real life conditions.

. It's like adding protein powder to a milkshake; it's thicker and better for you. :D

...unless that protein powder is sweetened with natural or artificial sweeteners. The natural sugars feed cancer cells and the artificial ones are carcinogenic all by therselves. :) In case you didn't already know about this place Scott, you might want to check it out: Whey Protein Concentrate I buy unflavored, unsweetened whey protein from them in bulk for a pretty nice price.
...Ok, I'll shut up now....back to 3.0 talk. :)

Reactions: jon
...unless that protein powder is sweetened with natural or artificial sweeteners. The natural sugars feed cancer cells and the artificial ones are carcinogenic all by therselves. :) In case you didn't already know about this place Scott, you might want to check it out: Whey Protein Concentrate I buy unflavored, unsweetened whey protein from them in bulk for a pretty nice price.
...Ok, I'll shut up now....back to 3.0 talk. :)

...well, as a touch of thread drift.... I use unflavored, unsweetened protein powder in my fruit/veggies smoothies with this: MLO Super High Protein Powder.

But thanks for the link, I will check it out...

...and now, back to 3.0....

Enter mp3 compression. It kills the dynamics and openness. When you push it and the tone naturally compresses in the room, it does not get lost in the mix. I have listened critically in live situations now for over a week... it's different than before and I promise you... does not get lost even in the busiest mix in real life conditions.

Nice! I'll buy that ;)

Regrettable sale...

i used to have one of those with the 2x12 slant fronted cab. bought it new in 1987 in a little music shop in london (traded in my ac30 for it). stupidly sold it when i moved to rack stuff. terrific sounding amp...wish i still had it.

simeon,

Don't feel bad. I did the exact same thing for the exact same reason in 1992 (..although mine was the 1x12 combo version...I still wish I never sold it....for $365.)

Bill

I reckon V3 will be released on halloween to keep his little monsters happy ;) So my completely fabricated guess is just over 1 week from now.

sounds amazing! can't wait for the update. will it overwrite our presets? will we need to back up and restore? i am still very very new to the axe ii (just got it a couple days ago!)

sounds amazing! can't wait for the update. will it overwrite our presets? will we need to back up and restore? i am still very very new to the axe ii (just got it a couple days ago!)

Firmware updates do not overwrite the presets. However, many will make profound differences in your sound across patches depending on the actual updates being implemented. The release notes always inform us of all the changes and specifically note if a new parameters, functions, or fixes will need a system reset or change.

It is always best to backup you banks prior to making upgrades regardless. For the few mins it takes... why not?

Scott, first off, thanks for your untiring input on all things Axe-FX. I am, however, wondering a few things about this new firmware release. With significant improvement noted with v.3, would you say, retrospectively, that you felt there was a deficiency with prior firmware that needed correction, or that you didn't realise it until you heard the improvements? Along those same lines, do you feel, with v.3, there is room for significant improvement moving forward?
I'm starting to wonder where the advancement will end - I had thought, with the release of the Axe-II, the general consensus was that things were so close that any imrovements would be slight, but that has not proven to be the case.
Others input with regards to this subject would also be appreciated. Please note no disrespect is intended by the questioning.

KG

Back
Top Bottom