Quick question about old style 512 IRs in 6.00b

xpenno

Power User
So I uploaded Clawfinger's trusty JCM800 cab IRs (512) after the 6.00b upgrade using Albert's great util. Can someone confirm if they should still work as expected even though they were created for the old firmware? It might be just in my head but they don't seem to sound quite right, a little enlosed and not as clear as they did :(

Thanks

Spence

xpenno said:
So I uploaded Clawfinger's trusty JCM800 cab IRs (512) after the 6.00b upgrade using Albert's great util. Can someone confirm if they should still work as expected even though they were created for the old firmware? It might be just in my head but they don't seem to sound quite right, a little enlosed and not as clear as they did :(

Thanks

Spence

Old IRs will not work. I'm sure the will be reprocessed at some point.

xpenno said:

According to AlbertA, the Axe-FX does it's own windowing now, and I used a Hann window on my IR's. Since I have a Standard, I can't even listen to the difference...

Clawfinger said:
xpenno said:

According to AlbertA, the Axe-FX does it's own windowing now, and I used a Hann window on my IR's. Since I have a Standard, I can't even listen to the difference...

Sounds like your playing in a box.

Clawfinger said:
xpenno said:

Hey Clawfinger, I know I have asked in the past but do you have any plans to release your two Marshall EAW IRs in 1024 versions? I presume that this would fix the problem? If not I'm going back to 5.26 where I can use them as I don't think I can live without them for my dirty tones :(

xpenno said:
Clawfinger said:
xpenno said:

Hey Clawfinger, I know I have asked in the past but do you have any plans to release your two Marshall EAW IRs in 1024 versions? I presume that this would fix the problem? If not I'm going back to 5.26 where I can use them as I don't think I can live without them for my dirty tones :(

Yeah. As soon as I have the 6.00FW up and running in my standard, I'll convert everything on the impulse page. I'll start a thread when it's done.

javajunkie said:
Clawfinger said:
xpenno said:

Sounds like your playing in a box.

Now that's interesting. I experienced something similar when I used the MP (minimum phase) option when I deconvolved some early IR's. i'll do some testing to see what I can come up with.

javajunkie said:
xpenno said:

Thanks

Spence

Does that mean that NONE of any pre 6 used IRs work ? Now that's another huge bummer right there...Not cool.

Now I have to join the "when's the standard firmware going to be realeased" gang, I see what your doing.....

Only jokin' I can't wait! ;)

Rawk!

VegaBaby said:
javajunkie said:
xpenno said:

Thanks

Spence

Does that mean that NONE of any pre 6 used IRs work ? Now that's another huge bummer right there...Not cool.

As I understand it if you have the Wav's you should be able to get away with it, just use the new converter. If they have already been converted with the old converters then they will not work properly. I think this is the case but am not 100%.

My utility can read the old versions and it'll just append zeros. I.e. they will still be 512 samples + 512 zeros.

Unless I fucked up the utility I don't see why it should sound like a box. A window should not really have that much effect in which you start hearing a "box".

But I haven't tried them yet... I'll let you know.

AlbertA said:
My utility can read the old versions and it'll just append zeros. I.e. they will still be 512 samples + 512 zeros.

Unless I fucked up the utility I don't see why it should sound like a box. A window should really have that much effect in which you start hearing a "box".

It will be interesting to find out what is happening....

AlbertA said:

Unless I fucked up the utility I don't see why it should sound like a box. A window should not really have that much effect in which you start hearing a "box".

I was talking about pre-existing ones (already in the axe-fx). Not reprocessed ones. I didn't know your utility redid the old syxs. I just know all my old user ones that were already in the axe-fx did not sound right for what ever reason. That may have been due to Cliff reallocating the memory for the new cabs.

javajunkie said:
AlbertA said:

I was talking about pre-existing ones (already in the axe-fx). Not reprocessed ones.

AHA! Then i have nothing to say. Cliff?

javajunkie said:
AlbertA said:

I was talking about pre-existing ones (already in the axe-fx). Not reprocessed ones. I didn't know your utility redid the old syxs. I just know all my old user ones that were already in the axe-fx did not sound right for what ever reason. That may have been due to Cliff reallocating the memory for the new cabs.

Ah yes, I heard the same thing. But one reuploaded they sound the same to me.

"I didn't know your utility redid the old syxs"

The one I uploaded late yesterday does now. The initial version didn't. :D

Hi Clawfinger,
your contribution is already very generous and appreciated!
Really looking forward to the 6.0 versions of your cabs!!!
Just recently I "found" the Engl 2500 cab and used it a lot,
after upgrading (which is awsome!!!) I miss it!!

olav

Back
Top Bottom