Quick question about master volume and preamp volume. please help

My question is Normally on some amps I set the master volume to max and use the volume knob by the gain and eq knobs to adjust volume because it gives me great tones. Is there a volume knob and a master volume on the axe FX II or is it just master volume. I dont see one on the uberschall model. The uberschall has volume on each channel and a master volume.
Please help, if there is I dont see it.

Another example would be the VH4, there is a pdf showing different settings. All of the settings have a volume level and a master volume level. Is there a preamp level knob??

The amp block has a Level parameter and a Master Volume too. The MV is more of a tone shaper as it affects power amp distortion in addition to volume.

You compensate for the volume change when you adjust the MV and the Drive control with the Level parameter, which is a "post" type Level control: it doesn't affect tone (except for perceived volume FM curve etc).

The level control is repeated several times in the Amp block, it's all the same one.

I only use this Level in the Amp block to adjust over all preset volume and relative volumes between presets.

The amp block has a Level parameter and a Master Volume too. The MV is more of a tone shaper as it affects power amp distortion in addition to volume.

You compensate for the volume change when you adjust the MV and the Drive control with the Level parameter, which is a "post" type Level control: it doesn't affect tone (except for perceived volume FM curve etc).

The level control is repeated several times in the Amp block, it's all the same one.

I only use this Level in the Amp block to adjust over all preset volume and relative volumes between presets.

Yea thats what im saying, the level parameter is for the amp block including the power amp. I mean a volume for the pre amp being fed into the power amp. If you have an uberschall or other amp with a master volume and a level try this, you will see what I mean. Its a tone shaping trick. Turn the channel level down to zero and put the master volume on max. Use the level on the channel as the "master". This really made the uberschall come alive and I loved the tone. High gain of course.

So yea, I wanna put the master on 10 and have a volume for the preamp. I guess there isnt a volume for the preamp.

I could try using the level knob but I think it effects everything and not just the preamp like a channel volume knob would.

The EQ slider comes after the power amp sim cause it eliminates need for eq block after the amp.

I mean a volume for the pre amp being fed into the power amp.
That's what the Master Volume parameter does. It changes how hard the preamp is hitting the power amp.

The Uberschall just has an additional master volume control that works on both channels. It's a convenience to make it easier to balance the levels of both channels (that's what the Amp block's Level control does).

Do your tone shaping by dialing in Gain and Master, just as if they were the Uberschall's Gain and Volume controls. Then set your volume with the Level parameter. The Uberschall doesn't give you any more functionality than that. And the Axe has the added advantage that you can push the power amp as hard as you want without making your cat go deaf. :)

I guess there isnt a volume for the preamp.

on a multi-channel amp, the Master Volume controls the overall volume of all channels, but also affects how hard the Power Amp works, which gives richer harmonics (but can also be too much if not used right).

on a single channel, the Drive or Gain control changes the distortion amount of course, and the Level adjusts the Level relative to the other channels.

on a real amp, you are limited with the sonic space - if you want that master at 9, it may be very loud even with low channel level settings. but on the axe, we can crank the master no problem, adjust the gain however we want, and then use the Amp Block Level control to get the right balance among presets. then we have an overall Output volume control (physical knobs) for the right loudness for the room.

because we have presets on the Axe, the "real amp level" control is really just the Amp Block Level control, which, again, is the best thing to use to balance volume among all presets.

so you really are still doing the same thing and the Amp Block Level control is the volume for the preamp as you say.

I think he's really referencing the first stage volume (gain). Like setting the Master Volume on 10 and riding the 1st volume stage (gain). Most amp models will react with various tones with Master set full and riding the 1st volume (gain). I think it is similar in a way with riding your gtr volume knob with gain high and Master on full!

Not sure,.....I've never played the real things (Ube, VH4).

Mastervolume and preampvolume is the same thing. It determins how loud signal is being sent into the poweramp.
Output level is after the master and will not color the sound .I does not exist on a real amp.
I guess you know that there also is an preamp gain wich controls the amplification in the preamp.

Another example would be the VH4, there is a pdf showing different settings. All of the settings have a volume level and a master volume level. Is there a preamp level knob??

Mastervolume and preampvolume is the same thing. It determins how loud signal is being sent into the poweramp.
Output level is after the master and will not color the sound .I does not exist on a real amp.
I guess you know that there also is an preamp gain wich controls the amplification in the preamp.

Not sure this true. On my H&K Tubemeister it specifically states the Master Volume adjust the volume of the power amp. Gain level adjust the preamp volume being sent to the power amp. This has always been a bit confusing because I think different manufacturers use varying terminology.

Not sure this true. On my H&K Tubemeister it specifically states the Master Volume adjust the volume of the power amp. Gain level adjust the preamp volume being sent to the power amp. This has always been a bit confusing because I think different manufacturers use varying terminology.
I think maufacturers sometimes use obscure language to make their products and features seem more glamorous.

It's still all the same thing. Adjusting the volume of the power amp means adjusting the signal level as it hits the power amp. That means a level control between the preamp and the power amp, and that means a master volume control.

The gain knob changes levels within the preamp itself. As it turns out, that will also affect how hard you're hitting the power amp.

The Tubemeister has Gain and Master knobs for each channel. They work the same as the Gain and Master knobs on any amp.

Back
Top Bottom