Quick question about Firmware 10.03

jonPhillips

Inspired
I'm currently running my Standard on Firmware 10.01, but after reading all the positive remarks about the latest upgrade, I think I'd like to install it. Can anyone give me some advice as to how this latest firmware might alter the sound of my patches?

I gig every weekend, running FRFR through my band's PA, and also via an Effects Loop block before any cab sim into a Marshall 1960A cabinet for on-stage monitoring. I have a range of four to six patches that I use for the two sets we do and they've been tweaked to cut through just the right amount and deliver a guitar sound that everyone in the band really likes and agrees works.

If I install 10.03, I'm sure I'm going to get a range of improvements (based on what I've read on these forums), but based on the situation I've described above, will this necessitate much changing of my existing patches to maintain the sound everyone's currently really happy with? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Only you can make that determination.

And you can always revert back to 10.01 if you end up preferring that.

Please back up your presets before you do any firmware update/revert sessions though.

I would guess that you will want to retweak your current patches if you upgrade. IMHO the real gain in updating to 10.03 is that it is easier to dial in new amps without having to work so hard to control the brittle high ends - easier to get the creamier crunches as well as chimey cleans now.

Jon,

If you are using AxeEdit it might be helpful to take some screen shots of your various block settings so that if you find the new firmware has changed your sounds you'll have something to refer to as you rebuild the presents. Also do keep copies of the presets so that if you aren't happy with the conversion process you can always go back to the previous firmware until you sort out the changes. Good luck!

cheers,

Jed

PS it would be great if we had a way to dump the values from a preset to a text file.

Jed said:
PS it would be great if we had a way to dump the values from a preset to a text file.
You can dump them to .csv (Comma Separated Values) file format... open in an editor and remove commas... same as text.
Advantage is that the .csv files can be reloaded...

Back
Top Bottom