AFIII Quick Polyphonic Pitch Shift Demo

iaresee

Administrator
Enough people were asking how the pitch shifter performed in the III I thought I'd throw up a very quick demo.

First take is live, no pitch block. Second take is re-amped with the pitch block set to -2 steps. Guitar was a JEM tuned to A440. Preset was: Pitch -> Amp (Brit Brown, just tweaked the TMB and input gain a bit) -> Cab (4x12 Pre-Rola GB A51D) -> Delay (Mono Tape, mixed low)

I let the chord hang at the end so you could really get a sense of how well it tracks the signal as it decays. Feels great to play live.

I like playing this Van Halen riff. It's fun and I suck at it. And I think that irks @Moke and the other Van Halen fans out there a bit. Especially the folks who are very, very good at playing this riff.

I've got to have a little bit of fun, right?

:)

Edit: Can I throw in: recording with this thing is pure joy. Re-amping is so much simpler with the dedicated 5/6 reamp output on the USB audio buss.

Last edited:
Enough people were asking how the pitch shifter performed in the III I thought I'd throw up a very quick demo.

First take is live, no pitch block. Second take is re-amped with the pitch block set to -2 steps. Guitar was a JEM tuned to A440. Preset was: Pitch -> Amp (Brit Brown, just tweaked the TMB and input gain a bit) -> Cab (4x12 Pre-Rola GB A51D) -> Delay (Mono Tape, mixed low)

I let the chord hang at the end so you could really get a sense of how well it tracks the signal as it decays. Feels great to play live.

I like playing this Van Halen riff. It's fun and I suck at it. And I think that irks @Moke and the other Van Halen fans out there a bit. Especially the folks who are very, very good at playing this riff.

I've got to have a little bit of fun, right?

:)

Edit: Can I throw in: recording with this thing is pure joy. Re-amping is so much simpler with the dedicated 5/6 reamp output on the USB audio buss.

Wow! Thanks for the share... it's starting to sound like there's no need to add a whammy DT pedal to my rig with the new Axe 3! :)

Thanks for your recording. But how is the latency when doing serious down tuning? That is not something you can hear on a sound clip.
At -2 steps it was barely noticeable. I could play live with it and it wouldn’t be a problem. It also tracked like a champ — I really couldn’t outplay it. But I am also no Paul Gilbert....

If that’s going to work for you, well that’s something only you can assess for yourself.

At -2 steps it was barely noticeable. I could play live with it and it wouldn’t be a problem. It also tracked like a champ — I really couldn’t outplay it. But I am also no Paul Gilbert....

If that’s going to work for you, well that’s something only you can asses.
Just to confirm, when you say -2 steps... that would be like E -> D (D Tuned) , right? :)

Last edited:
How about single note 1 octave up soloing? I really hope there is a difference, i'm not a fan of AX8 Whammy.
The thing that really helps the Whammy effect is to also use a filter block, tied to the same controller to progressively cut the highs as the pitch increases.

The real Whammy petals seem to have this included? Or some sort of formant shifting? The Whammy model in the Axe-Fx II/AX8 doesn't seem to have this?

Hopefully the various pitch block models will see some more improvements soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom