Quick Overview of Dyna-Cabs

Is the dyna-cab feature the wave of our future, or is it more of an alternate feature to please folks like me that love the simplicity and workflow that it brings?
Yes It Is GIF

Excellent videos. This feature is game changing for sure. I hope this is on the way to the FM9 soon.
You and me, and a lot of FM9 owners are hoping the same thing. I had a Helix previously (was a beta tester) and the updated cab feature they released that was somewhat similar to the Fractal Dyna-Cabs, was the biggest single improvement in the sound they ever did. The difference was pretty striking.
Comparing apples to oranges, I know, but from the descriptions of the people loading the AxFX-III beta with the Dyna-Cabs, it sounds like it is a pretty dramatic change!
I can't wait until the FM9 implementation is released... :cool:

You and me, and a lot of FM9 owners are hoping the same thing. I had a Helix previously (was a beta tester) and the updated cab feature they released that was somewhat similar to the Fractal Dyna-Cabs, was the biggest single improvement in the sound they ever did. The difference was pretty striking.
Comparing apples to oranges, I know, but from the descriptions of the people loading the AxFX-III beta with the Dyna-Cabs, it sounds like it is a pretty dramatic change!
I can't wait until the FM9 implementation is released... :cool:
I agree! The ability to have total control over such an effective part of any tone in the fractal (in my opinion). Pretty exciting stuff.

Will you be able to convert an IR to a dynacab in the future?
No. Dyna-Cabs are much more complex and are based on MANY more separate shots. There'd be no point converting a single IR as it would sound exactly like the original IR, without mic movements.

Will factory presets be updated to use dynacabs?
I doubt it, at least not in the near future because it's a lot of work. The factory cabs continue to serve their purpose using the existing factory cabs.

Will there be more mic choices in the future?
Dunno. Maybe. Answer hazy, ask again later. :) A condenser, dynamic and ribbon are good universal choices. Having additional choices might cause people to freak with option paralysis, just as they do when presented with a bunch of IRs.

The 3rd parties might be the best ones to bring additional Dyna-Cab choices. If I was part of the "decisioning" that's what I'd want.

I could be happy with what we have now. It's already been said additional cabs will be coming from Fractal, but what we have now sounds really good and covers enough bases that I don't need anything else. Someone in a recording studio or cover band might want more.

As a long term Two Notes user with decades of pro studio experience, I love this real world inspired work flow while hoping that eventually the virtual mic locker will be fully stocked with at minimum the following...

1. Neumann U87 or U67
  2. Royer R121
  3. Shure SM57 or SM7
  4. Sennheiser MD421
  5. Sennheiser MD409
  6. Beyerdynamic M160
This virtual Mic Locker is enough to get just about anything you need from any guitar cab/speaker IME.

Quote Reply

Report Edit Delete

A condenser, dynamic and ribbon are good universal choices. Having additional choices might cause people to freak with option paralysis, just as they do when presented with a bunch of IRs.
It will appeal to engineers like me, and the workflow to test different mics is ridiculously easier with the Dyna-cab feature. I hope it happens, but it doesn't dampen my enthusiasm at all for this new feature.

Had a quick dabble tonight and very impressive.

Do we know which condenser the IR's were shot with? I find myself enjoying a combo of that and the dynamic (presumed 57) for a bit more depth.

I never could find a use for ribbon mics in rock/metal, but might do a bit more experimenting now we have this.

P.s Thanks for the cracking content as usual Leon, you have surpassed Karl Kennedy as my favourite aussie in the last few years

Last edited:
I've been enjoying playing with Dyna-Cabs...

I haven't been able to match my happiness that I get with my favorite IRs. I'd love to hear from those that found a process.

minus one to the first 8 guys that say 'play with the microphone placement'

I've been enjoying playing with Dyna-Cabs...

I haven't been able to match my happiness that I get with my favorite IRs. I'd love to hear from those that found a process.

minus one to the first 8 guys that say 'play with the microphone placement'
Depending on what your favorite IRs are, most likely they are multi-mic mixes so try replicating that.

My go-to setup on any modeler with IR mixing capabilities is a SM57 + Beyerdynamic M160 mics. With the Dyna-Cabs, try mixing either of the Dynamic mics with the Ribbon mic set for a bassier tone but less level than your Dynamic mic.

The idea is that the dynamic gives the bite, sizzle and cut to the tone and the Ribbon adds body. Then adjust their positioning to fine tune that relation. This is of course just one approach, experiment with the different mics.

To me the beauty of the Dyna-Cabs is that you can think in terms of "what do I want more, what do I need less" rather than scrolling through a pile of IRs until you land on something you like or relying on someone else's idea of what sounds great.

I think that for some their go to IR's are what works so they may not find any benefits, using the Dynacabs, for others like my self Dyancab implementation is awesome as I can easily experiment without IR folder diving, which i detest very much
So for some its great and for others not so much of a big deal

Also, what was the reference speakers used to make these? Meaning, how good WAS that old JBL? How worn in was that greenback? What position was that v30 in in that 4x12? How different does it sound to the other 3?

Just throwing another wrench in here guys haha . I think this is a great idea, but different IR’s are always still going to be relevant for the reasons I listed above. Speakers are inherently consistently inconsistent. I have tons of v30 IR’s for just this reason. I mark my 4x12s with tape so I remember which speaker I like the best, and which the least, because they are ALL very different.

Man, why is it the side view of the speaker? It would have been nice if it was the front view of the speaker such as real life when you are micing a speaker. Better yet, side view for distance and front view for position. Either way, nice addition.
It's how you can display both the distance from the speaker and the location (from center to edge) in a 2D picture.

Oh so you can't have a 2d picture of the front of the speaker with a dot in front of it for placement (center of cone, in between cone and edge of cone) and then be able to click a button for a second view of the side of the speaker in 2d for distance? Not a software developer so, just asking.
More work to use it that way. The way it is now, you can directly observe distance and position via the blue dot without having to change views. The current view is a bird's eye view from above, and works with the limitations of a single 2D display.

Ideally, a holographic projection would appear in front of the unit in thin air, and then the Leia bot could move the mic for you. Might need a hardware update for that, though. ;)

Back
Top Bottom