Quick FRFR Questions

slothy one

Inspired
Hey guys,

I was looking at getting a QSC K12, and was wondering several things.

1. Would this work well if I was playing over jazz backing tracks?
2. Do most people tweak their presets to accommodate for FRFR?
3. I play mostly metal and a lot of my patches have two amps panned left and right. If I only have the one K12 how does that work out? Will I only hear one amp at a time?
4. Can I plug the axe-fx straight into the K12 (since it's the power source), or is it essential i have a poweramp?

Thanks!

1. Sure, why not.
2. People tweak their presets to accommodate whatever amp and speaker system they are using.
3. You have several options: hook the K12 to L (or R) and hear one amp; change output mode to L+R sum; change the way you pan the amps
4. Yes. You don't use a power amp with a powered speaker.

1. Would this work well if I was playing over jazz backing tracks?
The beauty of FRFR is that it works for all musical styles.

2. Do most people tweak their presets to accommodate for FRFR?
The ones who have good FRFR tones do. Guitar cabinets aren't FRFR; their EQ is not full range, and it's definitely not flat response. And each cabinet is different. However, you may find that you get an acceptable tone simply by selecting an appropriate cab sim in the Axe-FX, without any further tweaking.

The axe-fx has two inputs, I run both L & R from the axe into mine.
If you were running the backing track into the K12 that will take one of the inputs though so you wouldn't be able to run L & R from the axe.
You won't need a seperate power amp.
As long as you low-pass the signal (I do at about 120 or so, and it's still a tad boomy, but It works).

I'm not sure I follow you. Help me understand: what is it that you're running onto both inputs of the Axe-FX?

As long as you low-pass the signal (I do at about 120 or so, and it's still a tad boomy, but It works).
Even if you don't low-pass the signal, you still don't need a separate power amp. Feeding the K12 with a power amp is asking for sparks and fire. :)

If you were running the backing track into the K12 that will take one of the inputs though so you wouldn't be able to run L & R from the axe.

So I can arrange for both the left and right amp to be played through the one speaker? How do I do that, given the following picture? And what kind of cables do I need? I'm not familiar with those inputs besides the microphone ones.

Also, what does low-passing the signal mean?

589822.jpg

Last edited:
So I can arrange for both the left and right amp to be played through the one speaker? How do I do that, given the following picture?
Do you mean you're using the two outputs on the Axe-FX (instead of inputs)?

If you want to feed both left and right signals to the same speaker, you can do that with only one cable. Just go to the I/O menu, page over to the Audio page, and set Output 1 Mode to L+R Sum. Now both channels of Output 1 will be carrying a mono signal that consists of both the left and right channels added together.

And what kind of cables do I need? I'm not familiar with those inputs besides the microphone ones.
You could use a mic cable. Or you could use a guitar cable. Those funny-looking input jacks in the top row will accept either a mic (XLR) cable or a 1/4" cable.

Also, what does low-passing the signal mean?
It means adding a filter block in your signal chain to roll off the high end and pass the lower frequencies. Sometimes, particularly at high volume, the Axe-FX's wide bandwidth will send out high frequencies that would normally be low-passed by a "real" guitar cab. Sometimes the filter block helps; sometimes you don't need it at all.

Back
Top Bottom