Questions about if im late to get an AXE FX 3

Creator

Hello almighty FRACTAL FORUM :D, Im about to purchase myself an AXE FX 3 but Im not so sure why but Im very anxious of that If I buy one now, A newer spec with better internals gets released In 6 months. Thats why Im asking here, If you guys think my worries are simply not worth to have please let me know. I really wanna take a leap into the modeling world but I also wanna have the best there is you know hehehhe.

Eh. I got my Axe FX III Mk 2 in May 2021. The Turbo was released a few months later. The standard Axe FX III is still fantastic and has a lot of power. It's still the flagship and the firmware is constantly being updated. In fact, the newer floor models (FM3 and FM9) get ported versions of the firmware after the FX3.

As discussed plenty on the forum previously, it's doubtful an Axe FX IV will be coming anytime soon, especially with all the component supply chain headaches. If another version of the Axe FX III comes out, I'd imagine it would be due to slightly changing some components since they are more more readily available than the components they were previously using (like what Fractal did with the FM9 Turbo).

In my opinion, the Axe FX III is still by far the best piece of digital gear (or any gear for that matter) on the market. You will not be disappointed. If you're worried about the next big thing, get the FX3 Turbo and you'll have CPU for days.

I purchased a Mk I about three months before the Mk II was released. Yeah, it would have been nice to have the Mk II instead, but I still have no regrets. I would rather have had the Mk I three months sooner rather than wait for the Mk II if I knew it were on the horizon. A better model will always come along eventually (assuming the continued success of FAS). If you want one then get one and enjoy it now. They hold their value really well so if you are one of those people who needs the current thing then you can rest assured that you can sell it and fund the purchase of the latest model.

Buy equipment for what it is - not what you're afraid might be available later. If the Axe III does everything you need right now, then quiet your worries and pick one up. Whether it is a few months or a few years from now, a new version will come out. Sell and upgrade then if you wish. But, as has previously been stated, the Axe III is an absolute monster. I cannot imagine a situation where you would need more.

As with most things chip based, if it's what you want and the price is what you're willing to spend, get it. No one knows what's around the corner and how far away the corner is. Make a confident decision either way, no one can make the decision for you. If you choose to wait, it may be quite a while, the Axe Fx II had a run of over 10 years; getting one now gives you the best currently available.

The amazing thing about Fractal Audio products is TONE!

The second most amazing thing is the phenomenal resale. The lowest priced AxeFx III (Mk I) on Reverb right now is $2000, with the newer Mk II starting at $2100. A factory fresh AxeFx III Mk II with 1 year warranty is $2299! Plus, you get a sticker for your case. Don't let "fear of missing out" keep you on the bench. Even if a new product was released TOMORROW, you'll be able to get over 85% of your original investment out of it if you choose to upgrade.

When the FM9 was introduced, folks on the forum predicted that the price for the FM3 on the used market would plummet--it didn't. The lowest priced used FM3 on Reverb today is $1029! While you can pick one up for $950 here and there--a new FM3 is $1099.

For the price of one (1) decent tube amp, you can own the industry standard rig with an infinite combination of tones. I sold all of my tube amps after I purchased my AxeFx III and have never looked back!

Hi Creator,

It’s always the case that a new one is coming. What I have found with Fractal products, however, is that they have remarkable resale value, and any that come up for sale are snapped up very quickly. In all the years I have been using this brand, I have lost very little when trading up to the next best thing.
One thing for sure (imo) is that once you try it, you’ll never go back.

Thanks
Pauly

Hello almighty FRACTAL FORUM :D, Im about to purchase myself an AXE FX 3 but Im not so sure why but Im very anxious of that If I buy one now, A newer spec with better internals gets released In 6 months. Thats why Im asking here, If you guys think my worries are simply not worth to have please let me know. I really wanna take a leap into the modeling world but I also wanna have the best there is you know hehehhe.

Honestly, I don't see how the 4th iteration could be better than the 3rd in any meaningful way. I think the tech is mature now.

The only thing that would tempt me to upgrade would be if they overhauled the user interface, but I think the developers and a sizeable part of the user group are wedded to it so I would expect more of the same on a future model. But to be honest, I'd probably not even bother for that.

I think your options are buy now with the confidence that you're getting a great sounding, powerful product or wait for an indeterminate amount of time for a product that may not represent any real advantages over the current model.

Honestly, I don't see how the 4th iteration could be better than the 3rd in any meaningful way. I think the tech is mature now.

The only thing that would tempt me to upgrade would be if they overhauled the user interface, but I think the developers and a sizeable part of the user group are wedded to it so I would expect more of the same on a future model. But to be honest, I'd probably not even bother for that.

I think your options are buy now with the confidence that you're getting a great sounding, powerful product or wait for an indeterminate amount of time for a product that may not represent any real advantages over the current model.
When the 4 is getting updates and the 3 isn’t… that’s pretty meaningful in fractal land

I wouldn't worry about it. I got the AxeFx III and a week later the Turbo came out. I could have returned it and got the Turbo but after thinking about it, with the shipping and upgrade price it wasn't worth it for me. It's only 25% faster clock speed and unless you're running a ton of effects won't make any difference. The standard III is light years ahead of anything else out there. What it really comes down to is what are you going to use it for and how many amps, cabs and effects are you going to use at the same time. I seriously doubt there's going to be a 4 anytime soon and if you wait you going to loose out on the greatest guitar processor ever invented. This thing can and does replace entire guitar rigs.

Back
Top Bottom