Questions about Ableton w/ FC-12 and Axe-Fx III

I've got some pretty in depth questions about how I might be able to synergize an axe fx rig with an ableton playback rig, hope someone can help!

1. Would I be able to map individual buttons on an FC-12 to different functions on an ableton session? Could I map a button on the FC-12 to the stop function on ableton? And other buttons to start different scenes?

2. Say a scene (song) is playing from ableton, would the axe fx III be able to receive MIDI information from ableton to change presets/scenes? Could that synergize with my first question, so that I select songs in ableton from a set via the FC-12 and then ableton automatically makes the patch/scene changes in axe fx?

3. If any of these things are possible, what kind of connections need to be made? Obviously the FC-12 is connected to the axe fx iii, but then what? MIDI in/out/thru?

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it, as you can tell I'm a bit of a MIDI beginner so bear with me.

I don't recall if the Axe Fx sends midi over USB or not, but you can use a USB to midi adapter connected to the Axe Fx Midi out to get the Midi in to Ableton.

Your FC can send midi thru the Axe Fx via Control Switch Midi (see the FC manual), or by using the Midi block your preset (see the Axe Fx III manual).

The Axe Fx can be controlled from midi either thru the USB to midi adapter (via midi in) or the USB connection between your computer and the Axe Fx.

You'd probably want to set the Axe Fx and Ableton to use unique midi channels.

The short version is Yes, with a usb to midi converter. I do this on a weekly basis—launch a click/guide track in Ableton from my FC12, and then have that track in a Ableton programmed to control my Axe FX.

Longer version:
1. Despite the manual stating that everything Midi does is also done over USB, only faster, the Axe Fx will not send midi CC messages over USB in this way. It will, however, receive the changes and tempo from Ableton over either USB or MIDI. I’m using a Akai keyboard midi controller between the Axe (via midi cables) and my MacBook (via usb). It isn’t pretty, but it does the job.

2. Right now we are limited to six send messages from the Axe Fx. Because I use arrangement view, I’m limited to five songs (stop, play, markers 1-4. I put marker one at song 2 and use “stop” to get Ableton back to the beginning of song 1).

Not entirely correct. You are limited to 6 Control Switches for CS midi, but you could use preset and scene changes with the Midi block to also send changes.
True. In my context with Ableton, I haven’t been able to use those ones—my understanding is that, for example, if scene 1 sent a midi signal to Ableton to go to a specific song, it’d jump back to the beginning of that song every time I went to scene 1.

True. In my context with Ableton, I haven’t been able to use those ones—my understanding is that, for example, if scene 1 sent a midi signal to Ableton to go to a specific song, it’d jump back to the beginning of that song every time I went to scene 1.
Yes... It's dependent on what you are specifically trying to do. Some things wouldn't make sense to try to do that way.

On a somewhat related note, are there any good tutorial references for using the MIDI block?
Not that I know of, but there probably is if you search.

I had not had a need until the other day when I was trying to change presets on an external device.

Put the midi block on your grid somewhere (not in the audio chain).

Enter the PC or CC info you want sent on the appropriate Scene "slot". Done.

There's even a "test" button to manually trigger.

Took me about 2 minutes to figure out.

Thanks everyone this has been helpful.

2. Right now we are limited to six send messages from the Axe Fx. Because I use arrangement view, I’m limited to five songs (stop, play, markers 1-4. I put marker one at song 2 and use “stop” to get Ableton back to the beginning of song 1).

Question about the limit of six send messages - what exactly do you mean by that?

Thanks everyone this has been helpful.

Question about the limit of six send messages - what exactly do you mean by that?
The only way to send midi that is independent of Axe Fx scene or preset changes is by use Control Switch midi.

There are only 6 Control Switches.

Back
Top Bottom