Question with the atomic FRFR power cab.

autumn09

Ok - been luving the ultra with recording - computer monitors etc and the sounds are epic.

But i am in utter frustration with the atomic power cab for FRFR. It just isnt working. Why does the axe sound epic through computer monitors and headphones with recording and bad with the power CAB. I have done all sorts of tweeking and still bad - i'm not sure if my atomic cab is a dud or what? But still getting that flat dud sound. The factory presets all sound utter terrible through the cab also + with tweeking. All the connections are spot on along with fx setup.

Try my global eq settings. Don't have them to hand but you can probably find them with a search.

Ok - been luving the ultra with recording - computer monitors etc and the sounds are epic.

But i am in utter frustration with the atomic power cab for FRFR. It just isnt working. Why does the axe sound epic through computer monitors and headphones with recording and bad with the power CAB. I have done all sorts of tweeking and still bad - i'm not sure if my atomic cab is a dud or what? But still getting that flat dud sound. The factory presets all sound utter terrible through the cab also + with tweeking. All the connections are spot on along with fx setup.
First, computer monitors and headphones are NOT FRFR. They are designed with expected use in mind. That's your first issue. If you have tweaked your preset to sound good thru them, they will probably not sound good thru ANY FRFR setup - there the FM effect (volume levels) and other factors that come into play.
Try taking the preset that sounds bad, and re-tweak it thru the Atomic so it sounds the way you want.

PS:
How are you connecting the Ultra up to the Atomic ?
Can you define "bad" or post some clips?

Does the sound come out thin, like it has no body or warmth? If so, your preamp (AX7) tube might be shot. Happened to me right after it was delivered. It's a problem with shipping tubes.. Replaced the AX7B and it sounds AWESOME - with no tweaking or anything needed !!

i have two questions, where can i find simeon's global presets... did an unsuccessful search...

also how to you change the tubes on your atomic after you've pull the power unit out, i know how to do that...

i will say that the atomics are not flat response. i know they're advertised as such. but simply listening to a CD through them tells you they're not.

try this...

decide which set of outputs you'll be using for recording / FOH and which set you'll use for the atomics (stick with what you decide)
connect both up
open up a blank preset and make shunts all the way through
connect up a CD player or ipod to input 1 on the back
set input to analog rear and input 1 to stereo in the global settings
play some music
switch back and forth using the two volume controls on the axe, so you can compare how the atomics sound in relation to your monitors
tweak the global eq on the atomic outputs so they sound good
keep the tweeter level on the atomic up full while you're doing this, but then turn it back down to 12/oc when you're finished and ready to play some guitar through it. i find if you're listening on axis, the top can be a bit piercing at volume with the tweeter up full.

the rationale for doing this, is that you're familiar with your monitors. you use them for recording and listening to music all the time. you want your patches to translate, so they sound good on the atomic too. your monitors will be more flat response than the atomics, so patches created on them should translate to FOH with minimal tweaking. the atomic is your personal backline/monitor on stage, so you want it to sound as good as possible. with two sets of outputs on the axe, you can have your cake and eat it.

you didn't define "bad" - you said "flat" and i think i know what you mean. if you're playing at bedroom level, then that may be the reason why. try tweaking the global eq and then turning it up! i'm sure they'll send you a new input valve if you think that may be the problem.

sim

Back
Top Bottom