Question regarding feedback/noise-gate

SOAWM

Inspired
Today I tried using the Axe in my band, but I'm not sure how I have to get rid of my feedback problems. At the moment I'm running the Axe through the power section of my 6505, through my Laboga 412 with V30's. My main guitar for this band is a Jackson KE2 with a JB in the bridge.

I've always had problems with feedback, but now I have the Axe-Fx I really want to get rid of it.

My patch consists of the following: Tubescreamer (Drive 0, level full), and a PVH 6160 with drive at 3,70. The feedback I get is 'uncontrollable' in the sense that when I play stops, the feedback immediately takes over. I tried playing with the noise-gate levels quickly and I can get my guitar to shut up when I'm not playing, but when I play fast triplets and stops (thrash metal), I can still hear the feedback a little, just before the noise-gate takes over.

How would you try to fix this? I don't want to use a too extreme setting for the gate, as I also use a lot of pinch and natural harmonics in solo's and they tend to be cut of by the gate...

Thanks in advance!

Didier

Get your pickup dipped in wax or use something else. Anything high gain is going to give you that issue at volume if your guitar isn't set up for it.

how close is your speaker to your guitar? are the guitar pickups facing the speaker?

Thanks for the responses you both!

I even get feedback when I'm with my back to the cab, so I'm between the pickups and the speakers. At rehearsals I'm at around 2m away from my cab.

I'm also starting to think that my pickups are microphonic and that they have to be wax potted. It only occurs at loud volumes, so I'm guessing that my pickups are vibrating too much?

Are you running any other effects or switching before the axe-fx? I ask because my other guitar play had a A/B/Y pedal or one of the cables that was causing screeching. Pickups are a really common reason for this as well.

Are you running any other effects or switching before the axe-fx? I ask because my other guitar play had a A/B/Y pedal or one of the cables that was causing screeching. Pickups are a really common reason for this as well.

This. Check your pedals, if any, your cables, everything. Tap on contact points and anything you can think of. My guess is that your pickups are the problem though. When I got my Axe, I was playing a PRS McCarty with their crappy duncan pickups. I had the exact same problem you're having whenever I used the Das Metal or anything high gain. I ended up selling the PRS, getting a Suhr with much better pickups and there is zero noise now. It might even be as simple as stuffing your trem compartment with foam if your guitar has a trem. Sometimes the springs moving around can cause a lot of noise. So just crank it and go through your setup piece by piece to pinpoint the problem. Good luck man, I know how frustrating that can be.

This. Check your pedals, if any, your cables, everything. Tap on contact points and anything you can think of. My guess is that your pickups are the problem though. When I got my Axe, I was playing a PRS McCarty with their crappy duncan pickups. I had the exact same problem you're having whenever I used the Das Metal or anything high gain. I ended up selling the PRS, getting a Suhr with much better pickups and there is zero noise now. It might even be as simple as stuffing your trem compartment with foam if your guitar has a trem. Sometimes the springs moving around can cause a lot of noise. So just crank it and go through your setup piece by piece to pinpoint the problem. Good luck man, I know how frustrating that can be.

Back
Top Bottom