Question on using one RCF wedge

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
I'm learning towards going this route now but I will only get one. I have 2 outputs how do you guys run these if you just have One
and how do you set Output 2 (which I will be using for this?
thanks
Nick

I only have an Ultra, and I don't know if this "limitation" has been fixed in the II, but I am personally disappointed that the Ultra does NOT have a separate output 2 mode. I would almost always use STEREO for Out1 and MONO for OUT2, specifically because I want to be able to use a single RCF some of the time (I don't bring my two units to rehearsals, for example).

The alternatives, in the absence of an Out2 mode, all have nasty side-effects:

1-) Use MONO output for both Out1 and Out2. This sucks if you're lucky enough to have a stereo FOH

2-) Use STEREO output, but plug your single RCF in only one of the two Out2 jacks (either L or R). This sucks because you only get one half of your signal chain. If you have two amps and/or two cabs panned anywhere other than dead-center, you lose that. Also, you lose any ping-pong or stereo delays.

3-) Use STEREO output, and plug both Out2 L and R into an outboard mixer, pan both channels to center, and send the mixer output to your single RCF. This sucks because you need an extra piece of gear (can't my Ultra replace a silly old two channel mixer??!??!?)

Another consideration is phase artifacts. If you collapse both channels (L and R) to mono as in options 1 or 3, above, some effects settings may cause phase cancellations. I personally test all my presets to avoid such artifacts, because I *constantly* run a hybrid STEREO *and* MONO setup (stereo to FOH, mono to a single monitor). It's a tedious piece of work, but absolutely required. With options 1 and 3, or any other method of collapsing stereo to mono, you need to verify all your patches for phasing issues. That would also apply if there was a MONO mode specifically for Out2.

I just use the Copy-L-R for the output config (yes you can do that separately on the II with either output) but use Output 1 period.

I run out direct to FOH; once they are happy with the level, I just then adjust the volume on my RCF to my taste.

This weekend I have an outdoor show that we are running the sound on. So I am bringing my little Mackie mixer ( PROFX8 ) and running output 1 L from the Axe-FX II to FOH. Then the R output goes into the Mackie mixer and then I am running the input from the monitor mix (vocals only) into my Mackie to send to my RCF so I can mix it how I prefer there.

No biggie.

Scott,
I had been running like that...left to FOH, right to my poweramp and then monitor. Last practice, I changed my monitor to output 2. Why do you feel the original setup (all output 1) is superior?

I run Output 1 to FOH, and Output 2 to the RCF. Works great, and I have control of both right on the front panel without burning other controllers. I give the FOH the level they want, and leave that alone. Then I can adjust my stage level any time I want without having to crouch down to the floor to adjust the RCF, or messing with the FOH at all.

It's not the only way, certainly, but it's simple and works great for me. If I had to run a vocal mix to the RCF, I would do what Scott suggests above. But I have a separate monitor mix coming to a separate monitor, so the RCF handles guitar only. I am very impressed with the sound, punch, and volume.

I can't speak for Scott, but for myself, using Out2 for onstage monitoring lets me control my monitor volume from the Axe's front panel, without affecting what I send to FOH. That's way better than running around behind the wedge and bending down to tweak the level.

Scott,
I had been running like that...left to FOH, right to my poweramp and then monitor. Last practice, I changed my monitor to output 2. Why do you feel the original setup (all output 1) is superior?

I just like using an XLR out to the monitor XLR in instead of a 1/4". Personal preference.

Superior? Meh. Works for me? Yes. That's all.

I only have an Ultra, and I don't know if this "limitation" has been fixed in the II, but I am personally disappointed that the Ultra does NOT have a separate output 2 mode. I would almost always use STEREO for Out1 and MONO for OUT2, specifically because I want to be able to use a single RCF some of the time (I don't bring my two units to rehearsals, for example).

The alternatives, in the absence of an Out2 mode, all have nasty side-effects:

1-) Use MONO output for both Out1 and Out2. This sucks if you're lucky enough to have a stereo FOH

2-) Use STEREO output, but plug your single RCF in only one of the two Out2 jacks (either L or R). This sucks because you only get one half of your signal chain. If you have two amps and/or two cabs panned anywhere other than dead-center, you lose that. Also, you lose any ping-pong or stereo delays.

3-) Use STEREO output, and plug both Out2 L and R into an outboard mixer, pan both channels to center, and send the mixer output to your single RCF. This sucks because you need an extra piece of gear (can't my Ultra replace a silly old two channel mixer??!??!?)

Another consideration is phase artifacts. If you collapse both channels (L and R) to mono as in options 1 or 3, above, some effects settings may cause phase cancellations. I personally test all my presets to avoid such artifacts, because I *constantly* run a hybrid STEREO *and* MONO setup (stereo to FOH, mono to a single monitor). It's a tedious piece of work, but absolutely required. With options 1 and 3, or any other method of collapsing stereo to mono, you need to verify all your patches for phasing issues. That would also apply if there was a MONO mode specifically for Out2.

You could use a mic combiner and get the same results as option 3, I did this and all of my presets are set up for stereo operation and I didn't have any issues.

I run Output 1 to FOH, and Output 2 to the RCF. Works great, and I have control of both right on the front panel without burning other controllers. I give the FOH the level they want, and leave that alone. Then I can adjust my stage level any time I want without having to crouch down to the floor to adjust the RCF, or messing with the FOH at all.

It's not the only way, certainly, but it's simple and works great for me. If I had to run a vocal mix to the RCF, I would do what Scott suggests above. But I have a separate monitor mix coming to a separate monitor, so the RCF handles guitar only. I am very impressed with the sound, punch, and volume.

So are you setting up something in the I/O options to make your outputs mono - and running from the Left channel on both Outputs 1 and 2 ??? Places I usually play are set up to Mic up cabs - so there is usually an XLR cable in situ for the cab.....I am planning on plugging that in at the Axe end......so assume it will go into one of the Output 1 outlets (which one?).........then plug my monitor cable into one of the Output 2 outlets (again which one?)

Thanks!

So are you setting up something in the I/O options to make your outputs mono - and running from the Left channel on both Outputs 1 and 2 ??? Places I usually play are set up to Mic up cabs - so there is usually an XLR cable in situ for the cab.....I am planning on plugging that in at the Axe end......so assume it will go into one of the Output 1 outlets (which one?).........then plug my monitor cable into one of the Output 2 outlets (again which one?)

Thanks!

I run the unit mono, as both the PA and (obviously, with just one) RCF are mono anyway. Honestly, and I know I will probably get torched here for saying it, guitar in stereo is a waste of time for most live PA situations where the audience isn't located squarely between the L and R mains. JUST MY OPINION, not a religious statement! I would love to have it is stereo on stage, just for inspiration even if it doesn't translate. Stereo is great, especially if you use in ear monitors, but that isn't the point of this post.

I am not looking as my Axe right now, but as far as I recall, I am combining right and left outputs (yes, making them mono) and then copying output 1 to output 2. That essentially makes all four outs (1&2, r&l) the same thing, so you can connect to any (or all) of them and get the same thing. The reason I connect using a 1/4" to the monitor is just to keep control of the RCF on the output 2 knob on the Axe II front panel.

I emphasize, there are many roads to the destination here. You can do as Scott does, which would work great, and will give you the XLR if you prefer. You can use any output and control the volume with an expression pedal. You could even put a volume pedal inline to the RCF and do it that way. The beauty of the Axe is that if you are using several outputs and controllers for sound control and shaping, you still have more for volume control and routing. It's a mega-flexible unit.

You could use a mic combiner and get the same results as option 3, I did this and all of my presets are set up for stereo operation and I didn't have any issues.
But all the mic combiners I have seen have XLR inputs... I'm trying to use Out2 from the Ultra (1/4" outputs). Or are you aware of a (passive) mic combiner that has 1/4" ins?

Back
Top Bottom