Question for the IRs makers Gurus

GuttaLaser

Power User
Some IRs add some drive to the sound!
I mean ... you have an amp setting with low drive with a cab IR... and much more drive changin the cab IR.
And for my ruined ears... the drive added is much more than simply the frequencies EQing because the different cab used! Is just like driving and boosting the input of the amp!
How and why this work?

TNx in adv.

lower efficiency speakers do add break up, or some have a rattier/fizzier top end that can sound like break up

Different IRs handle gain differently. A cab with a lot of highs can emphasize the gain more. But an IR cannot add distortion. There's no mechanism for it, other than the Cab block's preamp sim, if you're using it. In that case, higher peaks in the IR could drive the preamp sim harder.

It just sounds like it does. (Assuming no drive in the cab block.) Human ear is a lot more sensitive to distortion in some frequencies vs others. This results in different perception. Almost the same thing as the perceived increase in gain when increasing volume.

Last edited:
It just sounds like it does. (Assuming no drive in the cab block.) Human ear is a lot more sensitive to distortion in some frequencies vs others. This results in different perception. Almost the same thing as the perceived increase in gain when increasing volume.
I think we just said the same thing. :)

Rex and Aziz are correct: an IR in and of itself is strictly linear. You're experiencing an auditory illusion.

Comb filtering effects when using two or more mics intentionally out of phase can accentuate distortion already present in the amp block output.

Its bringing out what is already in the signal, not adding anything new, i.e. it is linear.

Back
Top Bottom