Question for serious gigging players, especially cover/non-heavy players..

see, for me it's totally opposite. when i hear something live i want to hear a bands take on it...if it's perfectly matching the recording arrangement/tone wise i get bored and just feel like i'm listening to a recording of it.

i absolutely get why you go that route, and I'm sure just as many if not more than me prefer your method, it's just not what i'm going for. i think both approaches are equally valid/needed. for me i need a certain consistency between my tones. that's not to say they sound exactly the same, but going from an open back 112 to a closed back 412 and back again repeatedly just isn't enjoyable to me.

For sure. But just because I cop the tone does not mean we don't put our own take into it.

I think it comes down to material as well. I'm covering metal and rock, from hendrix to five finger death punch. Led Zeppelin to iron Maiden, ZZ top to sass Jordan. CCR to Godsmack, ACDC to Heart. We even have some country knee slappers.

We also have a light show, and hazer and it's more of a rock show as opposed to a band providing dance and drinking music.

So yea, I think it just comes down to what you are doing.

yeah, we are an original band/artist that does regular cover gigs on the weekends for fun/cash and to just get in front of more people. We do everything from modern country (aldean, urban, mcgraw, fla/ga line, thomas rhett, etc) to classic country (cash, waylon, hank jr) to some top 40 to hair bands to a 8-12 song run of 90's/early 2000's rock (lit, eve 6, jimmy eat world, etc). if we were a primarily rock set i'd just use a JCM or Dirty Shirley 90% of the time with a 412 and be done with it, lol.

I would be thinking about FOH mix, too. Consistency for a good mix might be easier using 1 or 2 IRs. I mean, unless your drummer plays electronics and switches kits for each tune and FOH mixer knows what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be thinking about FOH mix, too. Consistency for a good mix might be easier using 1 or 2 IRs. I mean, unless your drummer plays electronics and switches kits for each tune and FOH mixer knows what to do.

exactly my thinking as well

I pretty much use the same amp/cab set up as the OP. 3 to 4 goto presets, with just a couple of specials for certain covers (Boston for one)
I try to go for a similar tone curve so the FOH guy isn't tinkering with my sound too much.
I also find that "grainer" sounds get mushed up, and lost in my IEMs with the rest of the band, they sound great standalone, but don't sit as well in the overall mix unless I clean them up (run the drive back a little)

I actually end up playing through pretty much a single preset for an entire gig, duplicated 5 times but with variable levels of gain and effects, and still control drive from my volume knob 'on the fly'. I like the raw amp sound and being able to control it in the same way I did with tube amps, only now I can do it consistently and with more control than I ever had before.

My answer is "yes and no".

Yes - For my main three presets that get used 80+% of the time (clean, crunch, drive), I use one IR.
No - For the other 20% of the time, I use whatever makes a particular amp/tone work for the specific purpose.

It doesn't have to be exclusively one way or the other. It can kind of be both.

I play Christian Contemporary and Gospel covers every week. For me I am gravitating to a few cabs but have no problem using whatever combination seems to fit the way we are interpreting the particular song. With the Axe I don't limit myself to particular combinations. I just dial in what works best at home, load it in the rig at rehearsal, tweak to taste at gig volume, export and tweak a bit more at home before Sunday when it all gets locked and loaded.

One of the only issues I have with my live tones is that probably 60-70 percent of our tunes can be covered with one general amp/cab combo, which for me is the Matchless DC30 into either the OH 1x12 Alnico Silver or the new AC20 UR Mix in FW15. On some of the 90's/80's rock stuff that we do I switch to a more Marshall-esque tone and a 4x12 ir, usually the OH MGE el34 live 05. Both tones sound great on their own, but when I switch, it's such a drastic shift in tone that I never like how the gainer tone sounds, ever.

My question is, how many of you ever play with one ir over a range of amps, to keep a sort of "consistency" between tones. Has anyone ever tried? I found an ir today that sounds shockingly good on both, and i thought about giving it a go, just to see if I dig it.

I mean, most gigs you aren't taking different heads/cabs for different songs. Trying to find a nice middle of the road solution that can cover it all. I understand that the beauty of the Axe is that you can have it all...but I think there is still validity to the other approach as well....any thoughts?

What IR did you find that works for both amps? You mentioned the OH 112 and AC20 mix, was it a different cab? I play a Strat, primarily clean, crunch and driven tones but nothing really too heavy. I find the /13 factory cab either no mic or with the R121 works for a lot of amps. Love the AC20 mix too.

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom