Question for Guys who switch between single coils and hums during a gig

I don't. My presets are made using the guitars I am going to use. For input 1, I set it with my hottest guitar and leave it alone for the rest.

I had to lower the pickups on my Les Paul to match the output from my other guitars because I couldn't remember (nor could I be arsed) to keep changing the input level knob on the front every time I switched guitars.

My LP is very hot compared to my Tele. I have +2.5db Filter Block boost (after amp block) in all my presets I switch in when I use the Tele.

None. I use my guitar's volume controls. For my strat I play with the guitar volume maxed and the tone control backed off a tad. For my Les Paul, I back the guitar volume off. I have to do that for my Les Paul with amps too. Its a custom shop historic and the pickups are wound really hot.

With the Les Paul having the volume back gives the best tone for me.

Richard

None here either - My LP actually is a little less output than the bridge HB in my strat, and I've put in a 4-pos switch on my tele, which puts it the pups in series and increased output, so I've got a wide range of output to deal with it.

I just know which ones are which and pick presets and/or adjust my playing accordingly.

Patches are edited with the guitar I'll use when playing the actual song. For SC (strat) use in case of an "unprevisible & obligatory replacement" due to string break on my G&L Asat I'll dial up a bit the input of the ULTRA (do not have an axe II) in order to keep attack correct on the amp's input.
Between HB position on a Fame Forum and the G&L I don't need to change anything.

Surprised at all the "none"s. It's not just a question of volume for me. My patches that sound perfect with the strats often sound way too bassy with the LPs.

None, that's one of the reasons for me for changin guitars, getting different sounds. I toured with rock singer/ guitatist Billy Squier in 1991 and Billy played through 50 watt jcm 800 for leads and a 100 watt JCM 800for rhythm. He had an A/B box and wah that's it. On cleaner songs he used a tele or no caster and beefy songs he used a les Paul. Sounded killer and changed my way of looking at and setting up tones. I don't always want all of my guitars to sound the same. Adjust the tone knob and volume to balance things out. But hitting the amp with different volume levels helps each guitar have it's thing. I set it for the hottest out put. And leave it usually. Then again there is no wrong or right. :0)

Surprised at all the "none"s. It's not just a question of volume for me. My patches that sound perfect with the strats often sound way too bassy with the LPs.

That why you have separate patches for them. one of the great things about preset based systems. You can have the difference in tone all the different guitars give you, but you can compensate for the unwanted differences like volume, bassiness, etc.

I use a CC to boost the input level on the amp block. Works great for my S.C. Strat. Switch guitars, kick the switch and rock. One patch for both guitars.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom