Question for Friedman asm-12 owners

Hi Pete, That ad is mine as Georgy said above. Shoot me a PM if you want to chat about it.
Happy to help out on price a bit too if the 'Boss' need persuading, lol.

Hi. Yep I'm definitely interested however, I'm still a few weeks out from getting the AX8. Busily selling off all of my pedals to recoup the costs (as much as possible) for the AX8 purchase. Don't suppose you're playing at the Basin Music Festival this weekend. If you're up there Sunday - drop into the the Oak Tree Tavern between 12:00 and 1:30. I'll be playing in those two bands. Would be good to have a chat. If you're performing there too - I will check it out.

I will PM you in a week or two

Cheers, PG

Hi. Yep I'm definitely interested however, I'm still a few weeks out from getting the AX8. Busily selling off all of my pedals to recoup the costs (as much as possible) for the AX8 purchase. Don't suppose you're playing at the Basin Music Festival this weekend. If you're up there Sunday - drop into the the Oak Tree Tavern between 12:00 and 1:30. I'll be playing in those two bands. Would be good to have a chat. If you're performing there too - I will check it out.

I will PM you in a week or two

Cheers, PG

Hey Pete, in actual fact, the cover band that I play in, Blonde Voyage, will be playing there from 4.30-5pm, same as you - Oak Tree Tavern!! I run 4 Cable Method, I won't actually be using the ASM on the day, but come and say g'day and we'll have a chat and a beer.. :D

George

I'm starting to get the itch too, I'm wondering what 2 asm-12's and 2 CLR's would sound like at the same time? Thinking about selling all my FRFR stuff even my prized home made FRFR 1/2 stack and buy two of each.

Got mine today. Powered it on. Power light came on for a second. Then nothing. Tried different outlets. Called musicians friend and set up a return.

Got mine today. Powered it on. Power light came on for a second. Then nothing. Tried different outlets. Called musicians friend and set up a return.
Oh that is quite a bummer! Does MF pay shipping in these situations? Sorry to hear!

Hey Pete, in actual fact, the cover band that I play in, Blonde Voyage, will be playing there from 4.30-5pm, same as you - Oak Tree Tavern!! I run 4 Cable Method, I won't actually be using the ASM on the day, but come and say g'day and we'll have a chat and a beer.. :D

George

Will definitely do that George. There is an 80% chance my manager is going to ask me to fly to Canberra on Sunday evening so I will have to see how I go time wise. If it all lines up, I will stick around and say g'day.

Cheers, Peter

Ive been gigging with mine for the past month. Bought from Sweetwater. Ive said it before but the only real cons for it are the assbackwards handle placement, the weight and the fact that its so slick, it will slide on carpet like you are an Olympic curler. It sounds amazing, feels like a real cab, looks like a real cab and has a TON of headroom. I often get looks at why ive got such a small rig, when other guys show up with their half stacks and over sized pedalboard. I just wish there was a bit of a more convenient way to transport it, even a road case option or softcase, outside of getting something custom made. The finish on it, knicks and scratches pretty easily.

Oh that is quite a bummer! Does MF pay shipping in these situations? Sorry to hear!
yeah, they were great about it. Its heavy too. So they are just gonna pick it up. Funny thing is. I ordered greg howes new Amp Head from them a couple weeks ago and had the same issue with not power.

Sorry to hear that man. I have never had a problem with mine. Don't let that scare you away from getting a replacement. I HIGHLY recommend the ASM-12, especially for metal players. I think it does great with all types of tones but really excels with the palm-muting, etc. I am planning on buying a second one from Sweetwater eventually.

My only gripe with the ASM-12 is weight but I would bitch as much about any piece of equipment. That is why I dumped my 90 lb 4x12s years ago. Even with the weight though, sounds so killer that I want another. :)

Got one this week, on the wait list for an ax8, but sounds/feels bloody good with my kemper. Best experience I've had with an frfr type speaker in that regard. Am in the honeymoon gushing phase but so far a love it.

Ive been gigging with mine for the past month. Bought from Sweetwater. Ive said it before but the only real cons for it are the assbackwards handle placement, the weight and the fact that its so slick, it will slide on carpet like you are an Olympic curler. It sounds amazing, feels like a real cab, looks like a real cab and has a TON of headroom. I often get looks at why ive got such a small rig, when other guys show up with their half stacks and over sized pedalboard. I just wish there was a bit of a more convenient way to transport it, even a road case option or softcase, outside of getting something custom made. The finish on it, knicks and scratches pretty easily.

I got this made to protect the ASM for the very reasons you mentioned..

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/my-asm-12-cover.105507/

If you want to go down this path, send me a PM with your email and I'll send you the exact measurements..

Just one thing I want to add for Friedman ASM-12 owners using it with an Axe-FX. If you go into the CAB block and tweak a few things like speaker separation, etc. it makes a huge difference in making it sound more like a real guitar cab. I also like to do a slight "smile" with the EQ, or more specifically dropping some mids in the EQ.

Just one thing I want to add for Friedman ASM-12 owners using it with an Axe-FX. If you go into the CAB block and tweak a few things like speaker separation, etc. it makes a huge difference in making it sound more like a real guitar cab. I also like to do a slight "smile" with the EQ, or more specifically dropping some mids in the EQ.
Well don't leave us hanging, post your settings! im going to give mine another go this weekend so I can use all the ideas I can get. I had a hard time doing the frfr thing so I gave up and am playing through a matrix gt1000 into a 4x12 at the moment but I'm planing to hook up the asm side by side with the matrix and see if I can get it sounding good. Maybe even play through both for fun.

Well don't leave us hanging, post your settings! im going to give mine another go this weekend so I can use all the ideas I can get. I had a hard time doing the frfr thing so I gave up and am playing through a matrix gt1000 into a 4x12 at the moment but I'm planing to hook up the asm side by side with the matrix and see if I can get it sounding good. Maybe even play through both for fun.
That type of comparison will probably leave you disappointed...

:) Sorry, I'll try to throw those settings up soon. I'll tell you that some will be user dependent on how much of a mid cut folks like, etc. but will give you a ballpark.

Ok, here are my general setting changes when I'm doing a preset for the ASM-12

In AMP block EQ section:
125 Freq -12
250 Freq - 20
500 Freq - 40
1K Freq - 20
2K Freq - 12
This just dips the mids a bit so adjust to taste obviously. You can also adjust "SLOPE" in AMP Spkr tab.

Quick sidenote as well on things I always do regardless of with ASM-12 or plugging direct when making metal/hard rock tones
- Nearly always bump pick attack up to 14 or so
- Sometimes a slight boost in Dynamic Depth and Dynamic Presence
- Slight boost in "Dynamics"

CAB BLOCK:
- I like using two cabs that are different like Pre-Rola and TV Mix #1, etc. I have found that two cabs brings out more great tone
- I almost always bring up the "De-Phase" adjustment to about 4.50 or so. Seems like a perfect spot for FRFR cabs
- I change preamp mode to "High Quality"
- Proximity Freq I turn up all the way to 200.0 HZ. I don't know why but when I adjusted this one day, my ASM-12 sounded even more like a cab
- I turn "Mic Spacing" up to 67%
- I don't use it as much now but if I wanted to adjust even more, I would go into the Preamp section of the CAB block and use a settings and add some bass or treble, cut the mids, etc. Don't really use that with newest firmware though.

That is pretty much it. Everyone has different pickups, etc. so it will obviously change from person to person. I have found though that the thing that I didn't care for with FRFR in the past was this mid-heavy wall that would hit you in the face with no depth. It was so "vanilla" so to speak. With the ASM-12, I loved it right out of the box but found if I tame my mid settings just slightly in the Axe-FX II, I get a perfect tone for hard rock and metal.

I have said this before but the ASM-12 is one of my best purchases ever. It was cheaper than other solutions, sounds more like a guitar cab for hard rock and metal IMO, and is smaller than a P.A. speaker. Yes, I wish it weighed 20 lbs but I also wish I had a toilet made of solid gold. :) Let me know how you guys like these adjustments!

Got word from Sweetwater yesterday that mine shipped. I'll try to post a detailed review when I get back home around middle of next month.

I've been playing out of the older Atomic Reactor FRFR tube powered cabs, so I'm interested to see if the ASM-12 is a big upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom