Question for Cliff and the Fractal Team!

Jeffguy

Hey guys, I have a quick question for you:

I've just finished recording my bands first pro recordings, and we got some SICK guitar tones after some post eq etc. Anyway, today I was back hanging with the studio engineer and we did a tone match of my guitar tone to use live with the Axe Fx. First of all let me say that we were all totally blown away with how close it was! We got it dialled in, then put a Parametric EQ after the amp/cab block which matched the ParEQ his on his interface, and it sounded exactly the same (We recorded it and did an A/B comparison) Very fucking awesome :encouragement:

The issue I have is that I like playing my axe through a standard guitar cab. I'd like to use that album tone patch that we created today for my live sound, but through a real guitar cab it doesn't sound good as cab modelling is on for the ToneMatch. I can get a wicked awesome sound if I turn the Cab modelling off - like exceptionally good, but then I can't go straight to FOH because the Album patch won't sound the same without the cab modelling on. I'd prefer to use standard guitar cabs as I don't want to have to sell a bunch of shit to buy high quality FRFR speakers.

Is there any way to make it so that input 1 is cab modelling off - which goes to my guitar cab and possibly a different channel if need be, and have output 2 with cab modelling on, Album Tone Patch selected - going straight from the axefx to FOH?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Is there any way to make it so that input 1 is cab modelling off - which goes to my guitar cab and possibly a different channel if need be, and have output 2 with cab modelling on, Album Tone Patch selected - going straight from the axefx to FOH?

It's a little easier to do it the other way around: Output 1 has CAB on, and output 2 has no CAB. Here's an example:

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-26%20at%208.58.08%20PM.png

That patch is in factory bank C by the way.

What's it doing? The key here is the FXLoop block -- that block takes the signal and routes it to output 2 (labelled FX Send on the back of the unit). The block, with nothing connected to FX Return on the back on the unit, just passes it's input to its output internally. So it acts as a Y split from the signal chain in the grid to both the next blocks in the chain AND the FX Send (output 2) jacks on the back on the unit.

Place an FXLoop block before your CAB block, run that signal to your power amp and guitar cabinets, and then run Output 1 to FOH.

Now try doing the same thing whilst retaining the FXLoop for an external device. That's where it gets really interesting :)

Now try doing the same thing whilst retaining the FXLoop for an external device. That's where it gets really interesting :)

That's about when you want to invest in another audio signal routing and management unit like a Switchblade.

only tricky if you need to maintain stereo imaging with your effects. Otherwise, this can be done fairly simply by splitting the signal before the cab block, and then hard panning the Cab sim path to Output 1 Right, and the non-cab sim path Output 1 Left. This would also be assuming the FX Loop effect is in the signal path before the split, rather than post-cab sim.

It's a little easier to do it the other way around: Output 1 has CAB on, and output 2 has no CAB. Here's an example:

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-26%20at%208.58.08%20PM.png

That patch is in factory bank C by the way.

What's it doing? The key here is the FXLoop block -- that block takes the signal and routes it to output 2 (labelled FX Send on the back of the unit). The block, with nothing connected to FX Return on the back on the unit, just passes it's input to its output internally. So it acts as a Y split from the signal chain in the grid to both the next blocks in the chain AND the FX Send (output 2) jacks on the back on the unit.

Place an FXLoop block before your CAB block, run that signal to your power amp and guitar cabinets, and then run Output 1 to FOH.

I've always had a question about how the Chorus, Delay and Reverb before the Cab Sim affect the sounds from Output 1. Most presets have those effects coming after the cab sim. Is that order an issue in the digital realm?

As above.

Also, if the effects are not just before the cab but also before the amp, they take a stompbox role. After the cab, it's more of a studio effect role, allowing the sound to be shaped after the sonic characteristics of the amp.

Thanks Sean and Big D. So in the above configurations, would you keep the effects in mono?

Hmm. Good question.

In the above example, I'd try the chorus in front of the amp, as well as after it, and see which suits best. I love stereo delays and reverb so would not go mono with those, but it's horses for courses really. Try both and see which suits your purposes best.

**UPDATE**

So I've switched around my main settings and I'm completely blown away with how good my tone is! I have OUT1 going straight to the PA with the FAS 6505 and my Tonematch set up as my lead/metal channel. Sounds absolutely awesome! I also out the FX loop in before the Tonematch block, and I threw in a PAQ set to my preference going from OUT2 into my power amp/4x12 cab. Sounds just amazing!

On a side note, I've set up my lead metal channel very basic (Drive>amp>FXloop>TM>PAQ) but for my leads - instead of using a separate channel I've set up my Boss FS6 as a scene selector! So now i just bypass everything for the rhythm parts, etc. and when it's Solo time I hit that and BAM! Delay/verb/volume boost. This axefx is an amazing tool. I've just been scratching at the surface and it's blowing my freaking mind!

Big thanks to you dudes for helping me figure this out! I can't wait till my next gig to try it out live!

Back
Top Bottom