Question - Can I use the expression pedal to control BOTH Output 1 and Output 2 levels at the same time?

Skanky

Inspired
Pretty much what the title says. I apologize if this is something obvious, or if this has been asked before, but I have a gig tomorrow and not much time to get this fixed. Google was not friendly to me :( Long story.

Anyways, I'd be very very thankful to whomever can help a brother out here. :)

it depends how your presets are arranged.

but an easy way would be to assign the Out 1 and Out 2 volume to the same Pedal/Controller in I/O > CTRL page.

it depends how your presets are arranged.

but an easy way would be to assign the Out 1 and Out 2 volume to the same Pedal/Controller in I/O > CTRL page.

I believe this is exactly what I'm after... Thanks for the starting point!

Just so anyone is wondering why, I'm running Output 1 to my stage monitors and Output 2 to FOH and I need to be able to adjust the volume to both equally at the same time (songs that fade in from zero volume).

I believe this is exactly what I'm after... Thanks for the starting point!

Just so anyone is wondering why, I'm running Output 1 to my stage monitors and Output 2 to FOH and I need to be able to adjust the volume to both equally at the same time (songs that fade in from zero volume).
you could just turn on Echo Out 1 to Out 2 and wouldn't have to do anything special.

So, I finally am at my fx2 and I've set "Output 2 Echo" to "Output 1" It was already set like that (i guess I had set it before?). So, I'm getting the same signal out of both Out 1 and Out 2 (from the back of the FX), but the pedal control affects ONLY output 1. Not sure what to do at this point?

Phew. I finally got it after scouring through some youtube videos. The fix was that I had to set my Out2 Volume to be controled by CTRL11 (which is my expression pedal 1 on the MFC-101. All the ECHO stuff above isnt affected by the expression pedals at all (on OUT2).

Thanks for the help, even if i found the solution elsewhere. I appreciate the effort.

That's what Chris meant in post #4. I guess post #6 may have been confusing. The echo function routes sound to Out 2 without requiring an FX Loop block, but the separate output volume controls are retained.

Bakerman - you summed up this experience exactly. Looking back, Chris was exactly correct on Post #4, but #6 seemed like a simpler solution which doesn't really fix the issue I was after (although it is necessary for it to work).

If you have a volume block in the preset already, it will affect both Out 1 and Out 2 with the Echo function. Sorry I forgot to explain that part.

yeah, i would just drop a volume block into your preset, rather than adjust the global output volumes. if you put the volume block before any reverbs and delays, you'll preserve the tails as you drop the volume. also...if you don't have an expression pedal plugged in, you can still get sound simply by bypassing the volume block.

yeah, i would just drop a volume block into your preset, rather than adjust the global output volumes. if you put the volume block before any reverbs and delays, you'll preserve the tails as you drop the volume. also...if you don't have an expression pedal plugged in, you can still get sound simply by bypassing the volume block.

I like this idea, but it sounds risky if my expression pedal fails (no sound). I'm not incredibly familiar with navigating the front panel controls to bypass the volume block, especially during a gig.

I'll certainly try it after today!

it's actually more risky i think, to tie your expression pedal to the main outs. if it fails while volume is at zero, you're completely buggered. at least if it's attached to a volume block, you can do something about it. i've been using volume and expression pedals for thirty-odd years and i've only had one fail on me once...and that what when the string broke inside an ernie ball vp junior, so i think the risk is actually very small.

it's actually more risky i think, to tie your expression pedal to the main outs. if it fails while volume is at zero, you're completely buggered. at least if it's attached to a volume block, you can do something about it. i've been using volume and expression pedals for thirty-odd years and i've only had one fail on me once...and that what when the string broke inside an ernie ball vp junior, so i think the risk is actually very small.

You're saying that if i unplug my expression pedal at 0, it hard-sets the volume out at that level? That doesn't sound right. I've been unplugging/plugging in my pedals a lot in the past and i don't think it's ever been an issue (but then, i may have never unplugged it in the zero position)?

I hesitate to chime in here as I always think there are smarter people than me with the right help but let me offer this. One of the things the Axe FX II offered me was the ability of Out2 to be not affected by my stage volume. Out 1 has a dedicated expression pedal for personal monitoring. I have a second expression pedal used for other effects such as delay or wah. On two different songs I needed to fade in. On those presets or scenes I use the second pedal for fading in my volume by controlling a volume block as described above. This way you preserve your overall stage volume with the first pedal and your not screwing with the level the sound man has and your just fading in the entire preset or scene with the second expression pedal. Hope this helps.

I hesitate to chime in here as I always think there are smarter people than me with the right help but let me offer this. One of the things the Axe FX II offered me was the ability of Out2 to be not affected by my stage volume. Out 1 has a dedicated expression pedal for personal monitoring. I have a second expression pedal used for other effects such as delay or wah. On two different songs I needed to fade in. On those presets or scenes I use the second pedal for fading in my volume by controlling a volume block as described above. This way you preserve your overall stage volume with the first pedal and your not screwing with the level the sound man has and your just fading in the entire preset or scene with the second expression pedal. Hope this helps.

This is the issue i have too, but the song also requires a wah pedal. And i only gots 2 pedals.

Back
Top Bottom