Question and observation about input level

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
Hello! I had a question about the input level. I have a parts tele with a Friedman Classic plus humbucker pickup in it which I believe is around 8.2k.
I recently had another build done of a partscaster and it has a Suhr Thornbucker + in it which I believe is around 9.1k (53mm spacing), and I noticed that my input level which was set for the parts tele (Friedman classic plus) is set at 17%. However, I have to set the input level to around 50% with the partscaster (Thornbucker plus) and it’s a hotter pickup.

Perhaps I’m making it out to be too simple, but does anyone have a technical answer on why this would be that the hotter pickup on paper needs almost 30% more input level? At the end of the day, the guitar sounds good; I’m just curious based on the observation I made.

Lots of factors determine a pickup's total output like the strength and type of magnet(s), the number of turns on the bobbin(s), the diameter of the coil wire, the pickup position relative to the bridge, pickup wiring (phase, series, parallel), the types and gauges of strings used, the pickup height, player technique, etc.

Thanks for the response! Can you elaborate on that a bit?
Sure.

Let’s say you have two identical pickups. They have the same construction and the same output. Now let’s say you take one of these pickups and replace the magnet with a stronger magnet. Now that pickup is hotter, even though it has the same DC resistance.

Now, let’s start with two identical pickups again. This time, we’ll wind one of those pickups with thicker wire. Same number of turns, but thicker. The pickup with the thicker wire will be hotter, even though it has lower DC resistance.

Lots of factors determine a pickup's total output like the strength and type of magnet(s), the number of turns on the bobbin(s), the diameter of the coil wire, the pickup position relative to the bridge, pickup wiring (phase, series, parallel), the types and gauges of strings used, the pickup height, player technique, etc.
Sure.

Let’s say you have two identical pickups. They have the same construction and the same output. Now let’s say you take one of these pickups and replace the magnet with a stronger magnet. Now that pickup is hotter, even though it has the same DC resistance.

Now, let’s start with two identical pickups again. This time, we’ll wind one of those pickups with thicker wire. Same number of turns, but thicker. The pickup with the thicker wire will be hotter, even though it has lower DC resistance.
That's what I love about these gizmos… modelers suddenly expose ALL the things that guitarists need to know to the light. It's a journey.

Sure.

Interesting! I didn’t realize that’s how that works! I thought it was just as simple as DC Resistance; the higher the number, the more output. I guess that makes sense; I’ve played some pickups that seem hotter even though their numbers may be on the lower side. Thanks for the response!

Reactions: Rex
One would have to measure the impedance of a given pickup at its resonance frequency too. Together with its DC resistance it would give you the value to compare against other pickups. The DC resistance is just one component of the overall complex value.

Back
Top Bottom