Question: Am I the only one? AFX Drive models

Having bought into the entire concept of the Axe-Fx as not being a "modeler" in the commonly-understood sense of that word, and furthermore never having been able to stand the sound of any overdrive pedal I've ever tried - including boutique-modded versions of various "classic" drives - I've never given the subject a lot of thought. I will say that, with the drive block parameters that Cliff has exposed in recent FW updates, the motivated user should be able to get whatever sound (s)he wants to hear. I've now used a drive block to effectively add a gain stage - with associated tonal shaping and level controls - to the input of a tube amp model. This adds a tremendous range of saturation/overdrive characters to that already available from the amp block alone, and it mirrors a set of mods I performed on a Marshall 50W combo ca. 1983.

Contrary to a prior assertion in this thread, the "physics" of physical drive pedals are accounted for in the Axe-Fx, with one exception: the input impedance presented by a pedal may be quite different than that imposed by the amp (i.e., when the pedal is bypassed). Given the above-referenced design philosophy, this is a Very Good Thing, as guitars are very finicky about the load impedance they see, and the most common tube amp input stages do as good a job of optimizing this (1Mohm impedance) as is possible. The Axe-Fx input impedance is the same 1megohm value as most tube amps. If you wish to add a more "realistic" loading effect than the Axe-Fx produces, you can produce same with about $15 worth of parts (which includes a really nice housing) or spend several times that on a Radial Dragster.

If you have a specific sound in mind, you can use the tools that are already there to get that sound. I would only use the "model" approach as a starting point.

Just for the record, I have no problem with the drives at all. For instance-Put an 808 cranked up in front of a vibroverb and viola-Instant texas blues. I'm not comparing them to the real deal but who cares. I can get what I want with a little tweaking. The character is there for me.

PROGRESS! :eek:)

PROGRESS! :) I have just spent a couple of hours building new patches from scratch using only the Drive block for distortion into a totally clean Amp, and this time I'm having much better results! :p I am using the Dist+ Drive model at the moment with a Comp & Para EQ in front (boosting pretty big around 500z, and cutting all highs above 2k using band 5, set to blocking). I have plenty of gain and the tone is quite nice, without a lot of hiss (thanks mainly to the blocking above 2k).

So yet again I am finding that where there's a will, there's a way with the mighty AFX. Perhaps I will find other Drive models that work for me as well, but I have finally 'broken the ice', and and now know it's possible to get what I've been looking for from the Drive block. Like others of you, I don't really care if the Drives sound exactly like the originals - only that I can make them sound good.

~Rad~

A few of my fuzz patches are just a drive or 2 (so far liking the pi fuzz and shred dist) into a cab block. I find that its a very clear tone and enjoy the gate-like bias settings I can get, which I haven't experimented with with just an amp block, dunno if the same thing's possible.

hp/mp said:
A few of my fuzz patches are just a drive or 2 (so far liking the pi fuzz and shred dist) into a cab block. I find that its a very clear tone and enjoy the gate-like bias settings I can get, which I haven't experimented with with just an amp block, dunno if the same thing's possible.

It is in a way, if one sets the Amp Bias voltage very low, though I prefer Drive Bias tweaking for the "almost gated" sound.

Re: PROGRESS! :eek:)

Radley said:
PROGRESS! :) I have just spent a couple of hours building new patches from scratch using only the Drive block for distortion into a totally clean Amp, and this time I'm having much better results! :p I am using the Dist+ Drive model at the moment with a Comp & Para EQ in front (boosting pretty big around 500z, and cutting all highs above 2k using band 5, set to blocking). I have plenty of gain and the tone is quite nice, without a lot of hiss (thanks mainly to the blocking above 2k).

So yet again I am finding that where there's a will, there's a way with the mighty AFX. Perhaps I will find other Drive models that work for me as well, but I have finally 'broken the ice', and and now know it's possible to get what I've been looking for from the Drive block. Like others of you, I don't really care if the Drives sound exactly like the originals - only that I can make them sound good.

~Rad~

Hi Rad, could you possibly share what clean amp you're using and any other pertinent details about your settings? Just curious to try what you found to be effective...thanks!

wezx said:
Hi Rad, could you possibly share what clean amp you're using and any other pertinent details about your settings? Just curious to try what you found to be effective...thanks!

I used the Brownface Amp with the treble boost OFF and the German 4x12 Cab & 121 Mic. On the pre-EQ Parametric, I boosted 12 db at 500z at the default Q. I also used the Drive's post-EQ to boost some lows & highs, and to cut a few db at 1500z. Also used a filter block with a bit of resonance at 3.8k at the end of the chain.

Radley said:
wezx said:

I used the Brownface Amp with the treble boost OFF and the German 4x12 Cab & 121 Mic. On the pre-EQ Parametric, I boosted 12 db at 500z at the default Q. I also used the Drive's post-EQ to boost some lows & highs, and to cut a few db at 1500z. Also used a filter block with a bit of resonance at 3.8k at the end of the chain.

You're a breath of fresh air here, Radley!
Will try this later - thanks mate.

Back
Top Bottom