question about using wireless midi on mfc101

scottburrow

Fractal Fanatic
I know that to be in axe mode on the mfc01 it needs a two way communication between the axe and the controller. I have bought an m-audio midair wireless midi device with the goal of going wireless to the mfc101. The midair is one way only, so my question is if i get another one going from the out of the axe fx to the in of the mfc101, will that work? Honestly the only real reason that I want axe mode is for the tuner functionality.

A couple of things: Why wireless MIDI? You're going to have to power the MFC with some sort of cable anyway. Second thing: do you have your MFC yet? I was very interested in the MFC's tuner function until I actually used it. I find it so difficult to tune with it that I just tune on the Ultra like I did before I had the MFC.

I want to be able to keep my rack bag off the stage, it's really for a selfish reason really. I play a few churches and there are times when I don't have to play at the end, I just want to be able to pick up my floorboard and walk off the stage. As far as the power issue, I am also looking into a battery type power source, I know that there are a couple of them out there. I already have the mfc101, I have had it for a few months, and I do agree the tuner is a little weak, but it's there. it's kind of weird you get into this hobby by buying pedals and amps and such over the years, and you finally are able to afford an axe fx then all of a sudden you realize that you are not in that game any more, everything you need you have. So then you start looking for other things to spend your money on, so I'm in my cube at work and I talk to my buddy cross the row, he's a hand sonic drummer, so trying to avoid work we are trying to think of something different and he says wireless midi, I go yeah what about no cables, and that kind of got me excited. I bought the m-audio midair sight unseen, not realizing that its only one way only and only goes 30 feet. Than I realized that the mfc101 needs to be bi directional, so I'm thinking I buy another one have it go the other direction problem solved, but is it problem solved...

So heres a follow up in case anyone is interested.

I hooked up the M-audio Midair from my MFC-101 to the AXE-FX and it really works great. I had practice with it last night and it worked flawlessly.This solution only works one way unfortunately, so no axe mode. This has worked out so well that I will most likely buy another one, so I can go both ways and get AXE mode back; I sure miss those red lights. I know this is kind of frivolous, but you know we are musicians and kind of right brain leaning anyway, or maybe it's my love for tech that is biting me in the butt. Either way it's cool. My solution for replacing my tuner functionality was that I hooked up an old wireless unit from tuner out of the relay 90 to my board, that works great as well. Now if I can just find a way to convert my battery wireless transmitter in my rack bag to ac power I will be set.

5600732482_4173cdbaed.jpg

5600148917_75f01ed623.jpg

5600269053_b61a40cf42.jpg

5600161951_398fd130fb.jpg

5600922374_d5d8fa8ef3.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom