Question about the CAE 3+ amp sim

GreatGreen

Power User
So, I've been hearing a lot of clips of the Custom Audio Electronics OD-100 SE+ lately, and it sounds phenomenal. Mark Day's clips in particular are just killer, but then again that guy would probably sound good playing through a Metal Zone plugged into an old TV so maybe that's not the best example.

Anyway, I know the Axe-Fx doesn't have a sim of that amp in particular, but what it does have is a sim of the CAE 3+ preamp's lead channel (it's the CA3+ LD amp sim), which is supposedly what Channel 2 of the OD-100 SE+ with the boost enabled is supposed to be based off of.

So my question is simple, really. Has anybody compared an OD-100 SE+ with the 3rd channel of the CAE 3+SE preamp? I know one is an amp and the other is only a preamp, but I think it's still a valid question.

Basically, how close to the OD-100 SE+ can you get with the Axe-Fx using the CA3+ LD amp sim, and are there any tricks you need to know to go about getting there?

The big problem is the poweramp sim being used for the ca3+ in the axe-fx. It's not remotely close to the one used in the od100.

Not really, I believe the Power Amp sim that Cliff mated it with is 6L6 based, but 95% of the OD-100's power sections are EL-34's ....

Not really, I believe the Power Amp sim that Cliff mated it with is 6L6 based, but 95% of the OD-100's power sections are EL-34's ....

Yes, I think you're right here. I asked Mark Day when I visited him what his OD100 had in it for power tubes, and I'm 99% sure he said it had EL34s. Mark, care to chime in?

I know Mark's rig VERY well. The power section of his OD-100SEPlus is definitely EL-34's w/John's Plexi-Transformer ... !

Back
Top Bottom