Question about synth, scene changes

prufroc8

I have made a patch that has the synth in the FM9 playing the keyboard chords for the chorus of Fly Like an Eagle. Basically the Fremen drones patch, just modified. What I am trying to figure out is if there is a way to get more chord options.

I have a similar patch for Another Brick in the Wall Part 2, given that there are four chords over the solo section that is pretty easy to get with the 4 channels available in the synth. And with the pitch shifter getting additional diatonic triads is simple.

Although what I want to do for Fly Like an Eagle is not exactly what the organ is actually doing, it gives the feel to me. Ideally I would like to have three chords shifting up in pitch- Am, D, F. It would start with a regular Am triad, to 2nd inversion D, to 1st inversion F. Then 1st inversion Am, D, 2nd inversion F. Then 2nd inversion Am, 1st inversion D, F. Then back to the original inversions up an octave. So a sense of tension building as the chords shift up.

The problem is I am not yet thinking of a way to do it with the available options in the FM9. Essentially, I would need the ability to have 12 different chords (in terms of unique pitches, as the Am chords repeat), and to be able to sequence between them. I have a patch with the first two iterations (Am - D/A - F/A - Am; Am/C - D - F/C - Am/C). Using the 4 channels in the synth and the pitch block, I was able to get the six different chords needed. And I have these in 6 different scenes, making it easy to switch between them. This is a good enough for government work patch, no one would really know the difference. There is at least a little bit of build in going between the different chord inversions.

That being said, is there are practical way to get all of the 12 different chords in one patch in the Fm9? This may get into functions I don't fully understand yet. For example, the sequencer, scene controllers, etc. Perhaps there is a way to allow access to more chord possibilities. This would probably also necessitate a method other than scenes to cycle through the different chords.

If there isn't a practical way, it is what it is. I realize this is not the intended function of the unit. Nonetheless, I am curious about the outer limits of functionality that I can push with it.

Similarly I am still trying to understand how to program moving lines with the synth. I have seen a video with the intro to Separate Ways programmed for example, it would be nice to have that option available. Simple little parts that can be triggered.

I have a Keith Mcmillen 12 step and a little yamaha synth that I can use for other parts I have programmed. For example, I have the Brick in the Wall chords programmed into that. This allows for more versatility. It is just a pain to set up, I usually don't use it at gigs unless I am really motivated as I don't use it enough to make it worthwhile. The more I can do with the Fm9, the better. The other option is getting into the realm of having sequenced parts to play to through a DAW, I have not decided to go down that road yet. If the band I am in ever starts using a click track, at that point it may be worth considering for some songs.

The easiest solution is probably to have 3 scene controllers assigned to synth voice shift values, then switch Controllers block channels (each channel has its own set of scene controller values) to get 3 or 4 chords while staying on one scene, then switch scenes and repeat. That can get you 32 arbitrary chords in one preset.

There might be another way to accomplish this but it would probably take more work and might be trickier to remember which switches to press. If you used some per-preset overrides with layout links you could step through the chords with one switch using the scene controller approach. For example, 3 chords per scene, Controllers block saved on channel A in all scenes:

Layout 1 Switch X = Controllers block Channel B, link to Layout 2
Layout 2 Switch X = Controllers block Channel C, link to Layout 3
Layout 3 Switch X = Scene Increment, link to Layout 1
repeat

More specific to this part you described:

You could just have one scene controller set to 0, 50, 100% on Controller channels A, B, C in all scenes. Set the voice frequencies to sound the first Am voicing, and configure shift modifiers on the C & E voices so those 3 SC values make them go C-D-C and E-F#-F (use min-max range of 0-2 semitones, adjust mid & end). The chords all have an A note so this one doesn't need a modifier. Then after you step through 3 chords, switch to scene 2, use Synth channel B with the "A" voice's frequency doubled. Repeat this and shift the C and E voices up in turn on the remaining 2 synth channels.

Thanks for the very specific advice. I will have to sit down and see if I understand how to implement it.
More specific to this part you described:

You could just have one scene controller set to 0, 50, 100% on Controller channels A, B, C in all scenes. Set the voice frequencies to sound the first Am voicing, and configure shift modifiers on the C & E voices so those 3 SC values make them go C-D-C and E-F#-F (use min-max range of 0-2 semitones, adjust mid & end). The chords all have an A note so this one doesn't need a modifier. Then after you step through 3 chords, switch to scene 2, use Synth channel B with the "A" voice's frequency doubled. Repeat this and shift the C and E voices up in turn on the remaining 2 synth channels.

Back
Top Bottom