Question about switching to physical amp and cab

exleper

Inspired
Hello, I'm in the process of buying an Axe-Fx ii rig and had a question.
First, here is the setup I plan to use:
-Axe-Fx ii
-Matrix 1000 amp
-Mesa cab (all ready own)
-MFC-101 (Just bought)

If I download a patch that has a cab and power amp block in it, can I just remove the cab/amp blocks and expect a similar sound with the real amp and cab? I know that there may be some eq difference but will it basically sound the same or will it be a completely different sound?

Part 2
Is it difficult to setup the rig I listed above for on stage, and have another output (DI) into the FOH with the cab and amp blocks in it at the same time? I ask this because my current rig uses a palmer DI box because the sound engineers I usually work with prefer it to a mic. Can the Axe-Fx ii handle that much real time processing?

Sorry if these are noob questions but I did some searches and didn't really find what I was asking.

It's in the WiKi, but it's easy. Here's the methopd I use:
Simply take the existing preset, and add in the FX LOOP block before the CAB block in the chain. Then connect your Mesa cab/Matrix to the OUTPUT 2 jacks on the rear panel. You can still then send OUTPUT 1 (with the cab block still there) to FOH. Remember that any effects blocks placed AFTER the CAB block will only then be heard from OUTPUT1, so make sure your CAB block is at the end of the chain.

Thank you Craig, that sounds easy enough.

Wow this fractal community is pretty awesome. I just posted the question and already got a easy to understand answer.

When you get a little more familiar with the Axe you should try shooting an IR of your cab, placing it in the signal chain and send that to your sound guy.

also, you don't need to shut down the power amp emulation when using a Matrix power amp because it has no 'voice' of it's own
so leave the power amp side of things running and all will be fine..

I run a similar rig to you
Axe-II / MFC
Matrix GT1000FX [in stereo]
two Marshall 1960b cabs

I don't worry about DI to the FoH and let the sound guys mic me conventionally
no confusion and everything sounds great..

If I download a patch that has a cab and power amp block in it, can I just remove the cab/amp blocks and expect a similar sound with the real amp and cab? I know that there may be some eq difference but will it basically sound the same or will it be a completely different sound?
If your real cab is significantly different from the one in the preset, you'll get a noticeaby different sound.

Your choice of cabs has as much to do with your tone as does your choice of amps. To hear this for yourself, just dial up a preset, and try out some of the cab types. Each cab choice will give you a different tone.

Back
Top Bottom