Question about input levels

WannaAxe

I finally got around to adding my rack-mount tuner into signal chain. So instead of guitar plugging into INSTRUMENT in the front of AXE-FX, I am running guitar into rack tuner, and tuner-out into AXE-FX rear input (Input 1) . I switched the appropriate setting to recognize the input from the back of the unit. But in trying to set my input levels- (Instr In, Input 1, Input 2), I notice that these actually do not affect the sound level output at all. I would expect that if I turn down Input 1 to ZERO, I would get no sound out. Or if I increase it, it would make my output louder.

What am I missing?

Section 3.1 of the AXE-FX II manual:

"Changing input levels will NOT affect what you hear. Inputs are compensated, meaning that as you lower trims
to optimize signal-to-noise ratio going into the converters, the output of the converters is adjusted inversely so “what you hear” (and what reaches the signal processor) always remains the same."

Danny W.

Thanks!
So the only way to adjust to "optimal" is just to strum away and monitor the input light to make sure it does not clip?

Pretty much. If it just clips on the hardest hits you should be fine. If it never clips no matter what you do you'll still be fine.

Danny W.

Pretty much. If it just clips on the hardest hits you should be fine. If it never clips no matter what you do you'll still be fine.

Danny W.
it is not actually clipping when it is tickling the red, it is just a warning you are getting close.

Back
Top Bottom