Queen Bohemian Rhapsody Tonematch and solo sample

Love the story of the guitar, there truly isn't another famous guitar out there that was so made up of scrap. Just a kid and his dad making history.

As for the steel/coin pick I'd say "quite a bit" is a bit much credit towards his overall tone. I've used steel picks and reshapened coins and really don't find they are all that different than a heavy plastic pick in tone. A little bit to be sure but a very small % of the overall picture. Especially with Brian's tone which is so characteristic I don't think I'd notice if he used plastic or steel, he'd still sound like Brian though to a picky guy like himself it probably seems important :)

Last edited:
Sounds very good - I look forward to trying it tonight. Thankfully, that's one of the handful of solos that I still remember! (it's hell getting old... ;)).

Hi Eric, You are all correct.. His tone is a combination of all those elements. The Treble booster is what gives the definition on the high end and also helps to overdrive the Amp. I do have one by the way, and use it with my current rig. But now I have the AXE and want to just use that. I also have a couple ( Need a back up) RED SPECIAL guitars and I can say that it is very unique sounding guitar. Especially when you start putting the Pickups out of phase. If you don't know much about the RS, it has 3 Burns Tri Sonics.. but the way they are wired is different then most guitars. So due to that you get some cool combinations. I can plug the RS in the the AXE and just pull up a VOX AC 30 patch and it sounds very close. So i can confirm the guitar has a lot to do with the tone especially that tone you get when bending strings and such ( Very noticeable in the bohemian Rap solo) that tone comes from the middle pick up being out of phase with the other 2. It is interesting because the tone and that out of phase sound changes depending on what strings you play So it kinda changes by it self as you play from lower to higher strings. Also a lot of the rasp in his tone/style comes from the edge of the coin he uses as a pick. Try playing your guitar with a quarter and use the edge and you will see what I mean.. It is a different attack and sound then what you get with just a steel or plastic pic. Kinda a scratchy sound is the way i describe it. Anyway.. Thanks for sharing your patch.. I loaded it into the axe today. Will mess with it tonight. Take care and happy editing !!!

Hi Eric, You are all correct.. His tone is a combination of all those elements. The Treble booster is what gives the definition on the high end and also helps to overdrive the Amp. I do have one by the way, and use it with my current rig. But now I have the AXE and want to just use that. I also have a couple ( Need a back up) RED SPECIAL guitars and I can say that it is very unique sounding guitar. Especially when you start putting the Pickups out of phase. If you don't know much about the RS, it has 3 Burns Tri Sonics.. but the way they are wired is different then most guitars. So due to that you get some cool combinations. I can plug the RS in the the AXE and just pull up a VOX AC 30 patch and it sounds very close. So i can confirm the guitar has a lot to do with the tone especially that tone you get when bending strings and such ( Very noticeable in the bohemian Rap solo) that tone comes from the middle pick up being out of phase with the other 2. It is interesting because the tone and that out of phase sound changes depending on what strings you play So it kinda changes by it self as you play from lower to higher strings. Also a lot of the rasp in his tone/style comes from the edge of the coin he uses as a pick. Try playing your guitar with a quarter and use the edge and you will see what I mean.. It is a different attack and sound then what you get with just a steel or plastic pic. Kinda a scratchy sound is the way i describe it. Anyway.. Thanks for sharing your patch.. I loaded it into the axe today. Will mess with it tonight. Take care and happy editing !!!

ty shep, I don't really know how this will pan out with the tri-sonics in out-of-phase mode. As I said, this was designed for people using regular old humbuckers. Like me for example, I'm in a cover band and we may do a Queen tune at some gigs and I'm not going to go out and get a red special just for that :). I'll use a modified version of this patch live since I run into a cab that version doesn't have the cab sim. Also I don't have the pitch block on as that overtone is a product of the multi-mic set up Brian used on Bohemian I don't believe it's used on many other tunes.

Last edited:
Sounds amazing on your sound sample, but for some reason the patch is significantly lower than normal in volume when I load it into my Axe (Fw 17.02), yet I cannot find the source (disabling all blocks one by one had no noticeable effect and the levels in the output block is all normal). Any idea what might be up?

Hey draenor, thanks. You shouldn't have any issue raising the level by turning up the input level inside the amp block. That's where I adjust the volume.

Hey draenor, thanks. You shouldn't have any issue raising the level by turning up the input level inside the amp block. That's where I adjust the volume.

Absolutely right, I feel a bit silly for not noticing. Over the time using the Axe I've overlooked that feature :) Again thanks for sharing this awesome patch.

Absolutely right, I feel a bit silly for not noticing. Over the time using the Axe I've overlooked that feature :) Again thanks for sharing this awesome patch.

NP and technically it's better to put in a volume block and use that as changing the level on an amp block would act like a volume control on a head and effect tone.

Love the sound, I am recording some Queen' guitar parts for a show, came accross this and it's a really good and convincing sound - just so noisy though I can't use it - shame.

Back
Top Bottom