Quantum, Ownhammer JYC and Line 6 JTV-59 demo!

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
Hi folks!

I recently got a new guitar, which is really great actually!
It's a Line 6 James Tyler Variax, the JTV-59 (brown sunburst version).

I used to own one of the older ones, the 600 I think.
It was fun but just not really a great guitar overall.
These new ones are really good, even without the Variax tech this is a great guitar.
I recently sold my Gibson Les Paul Classic and I have to say that I prefer this guitar over that one actually.
The guitar feels solid with a lot of sustain, the magnetic pickups are very nice.
Overall great guitar and I highly recommend them.

I also wanted to make a Quantum clip with a new Ownhammer IR from the Justin York Collection.
I think these IR's are excellent and you should really check them out if you haven't already!
The MESA 4x12 cab was used for this clip, I think it sounds great!

The first clip is short and less sloppy.
First I use the magnetic bridge pickup, then the Strat model neck pickup and finally the Tele setting with the middle position.
Here you go:

I made another clip, just jamming on a very similar preset to demonstrate some of the guitar models a bit more.
It's a bit more sloppy but it gives a good idea of some of the digital representations of classic guitars.
Can you guess which one is which?
I strat of with the 3 magnetic pickup positions.

I hope you enjoy this!
Let me know what you think

Hi,
I see you use the JTV-59.
I'm considering this one. Is it possible to use all different tunings on the guitar (w/o anything else from Line 6) and plug it direct in the Axe?

If you have any other info about this guitar, pls share.

Grtz GLP

Hi,
I'm considering this one. Is it possible to use all different tunings on the guitar (w/o anything else from Line 6) and plug it direct in the Axe?

Grtz GLP

Hi :)

It's a great guitar.
The neck is nice and chunky and the sound is very full.
I don't really use those tunings myself but the guitar comes with a battery.
If the battery is charged and in the guitar you don't need anything else besides the guitar!
If you play the guitar a lot outside your house I would recommend buying an extra battery for about 47 euro's.
I hope this helps!

I recommend checking out the manual online btw.
Making custom tunings on the fly is very easy without any additional hardware.

Hi,

Grtz GLP

Yes - I have one too. (Korean version) You can use the tunings and modelling etc straight out of the guitar jack on battery power.

You will however need a way of interfacing the Variax with usb to be able to use the L6 editing software (to balance model volumes with magnetic pups - or update FW - or move the models virtual pickups positions around etc etc) so make sure the interface is included because they are expensive to buy from L6. I bought a display model and that was missing - but I have an old L6 XT Live with a Variax socket so I used it and it's USB as my interface.

I've had a few issues with mine - it's lived in the shitty corner for quite a while because it was cutting out/jumping out of model mode and other weird stuff .... and just out of warranty when it started to do that!

I picked it up about 2 weeks ago again to charge the battery (which now won't charge past 3/4 anymore btw :roll) and had a play - I think I've found the problem - the 3 way toggle switch seems to short now and again - so I'll have a peek in there sometime to see if anything's touching something it shouldn't. I then broke a string so back to the shitty corner it went ....

First thing you need to do (if Korean model) is change the tuners - they are cheap crap - I stuck on a set of locking Schallers .... that certainly helped ... but the nut slots are cut really deep which doesn't seem particularly wise to me - I put expensive dollops of Nut Sauce in there.

Second thing you might find is that the push/push model/tuning knobs sometimes really need a PUSH/PUSH .... the bottom of the knobs seem to bottom out on the body before they actually get a chance to push down enough to activate the switch in the pot beneath - this didn't happen when I first got the guitar so it's something thats developed over time. I haven't really played the guitar a lot so it's a bit disappointing tho.

The mag pups are passable enough ...

The JTV-59 neck is a mighty young tree in size .... never had the chance to pick up a real LP 59 to compare ... but I've a big hand so I can get on ok with it - but I also like to wrap my thumb over and the neck finish is pretty sticky I find.

I guess the JTVs (the Korean ones at least) are cheap to pick up now seeing the Yamaha guitars are being used for the Variax ..... but it's hit and miss sometimes (I also have an old Variax 700 which was got for fun - but has the most awful neck playability feel I think I've ever felt ... and a half dead B string piezo :) )

Fun though ..... when they work!

Sorry for the hi-jack

Sounds really good. I just bought the same guitar/same color and I love it also. Can you share the HBE preset and tell me which Justin York cab file you used? I just got the cab pack also.

Thanks for the insight. That sounds promising!
Going to pick up one somewhere :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the tuners or the pick-up selector switch.
I read that the early versions had some issues with the pick-up selector but they fixed that problem, mine works great.
Also, the tuners seem to work quite well compared to my old Gibson Les Paul Classic..
Love the pick-ups too!

I wouldn't worry too much about the tuners or the pick-up selector switch.
I read that the early versions had some issues with the pick-up selector but they fixed that problem, mine works great.
Also, the tuners seem to work quite well compared to my old Gibson Les Paul Classic..
Love the pick-ups too!

You have a Korean one?
The ones which are sold here are that US or Korean ones?

Back
Top Bottom