Quantum -> Ares changelog?

kisslorand

Experienced
Can we have a changelog what's new/different in Ares? I am thinking of some insights as we had about Quantum when it made its appearance.

It's more "realer".

I'm sure there are countless enhancements in how lots of little variables are all modeled, with improved algorithms, more realistic behaviors of circuits when pushed to the extremes etc, but I don't think FAS has ever been in the habit of explaining exactly what and why the code is doing what its doing as that is their bread and butter proprietary technology.

I mean what else can really be said other than its better, a step forward, an evolution, et al., ? After all its not like Cliff is going to make anything that is less accurate, less authentic etc right ?

I'm sure Ares has a lot of the guts of Quantum, ported to the new architecture.

I think its likely more an issue of the increased DSP power now lets algorithms be a bit more optimized or processor intensive, while previously there was made some trade-off's in terms of modeling vs processing power needed.

Ares in an enhanced version of Quantum running on a more powerful platform. Anything less wouldn't make any sense, because why would you go backwards in terms of modeling, right ?

How do you know? ;)

And whether or not it was on the III is irrelevant with regards to what algorithmic changes were made.
I was going to argue this... But I just don't have it in me.

I think you and I are starting from different assumptions...

In any case, I really would not expect to hear anything from Cliff on this, but who knows?

So I apologize if this was noted somewhere, but do we know which amps on the axe fx III are actually freshly modeled with the “ares” software vs the older quantum? I was under the assumption that most of the models on the III are identical to the II until later when they get remodeled with ares? I’m new to the fractal world so it isn’t clean to me what has and will happen.

So I apologize if this was noted somewhere, but do we know which amps on the axe fx III are actually freshly modeled with the “ares” software vs the older quantum?
Ares is the amp modeling in the Axe III. Every amp you hear on the Axe III is using Ares modeling.

I was under the assumption that most of the models on the III are identical to the II until later when they get remodeled with ares?
Why?

So I apologize if this was noted somewhere, but do we know which amps on the axe fx III are actually freshly modeled with the “ares” software vs the older quantum? I was under the assumption that most of the models on the III are identical to the II until later when they get remodeled with ares? I’m new to the fractal world so it isn’t clean to me what has and will happen.

Your making the assumption that Ares and Quantum are fundamentally different, and that the modeling process requires specific measurements to be repeated, or measured differently. I don't know if either of those things is true. Not saying 100% they aren't but nothing really suggest that as being likely or practical.

I think Quantum is able to produce a certain tone using the existing measurement variables for all the amp models, and Ares is able to take those same existing measures but do more with them, model things in finer detail, respond faster, that sort of thing.

As I understand it: The difference between Ares and Quantum is that Ares cuts no corners in it's algorithm and uses more precise (For example, More numbers after the comma) data that the Axe 2 hardware can't handle. However, there were some other differences between the two, that had been ported to Quantum lately.
What these differences were, exactly, is unknown. Perhaps they are too specific to reveal?
By too specific, i mean - Something that might guide the competitors to do better at modelling... I'm just brainstorming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think Ares is only getting rid of the AxeFX II's limitation, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to port part of Ares to Quantum.
It could be something like "The dynamic harmonic analysis in Ares uses Fourier transform instead of Taylor series, as Quantum did..."

I do not think Ares is only getting rid of the AxeFX II's limitation, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to port part of Ares to Quantum.
It could be something like "The dynamic harmonic analysis in Ares uses Fourier transform instead of Taylor series, as Quantum did..."

There's no sense for Fractal to throw away all the hard work they did for the older platforms and start over so Axe-Fx 2 was initially very similar in sound to the Standard/Ultra and at the moment the 3 is similar to 2. At the moment the Axe-Fx 3 is to me a port of Axe-Fx 2 software to a new DSP platform with a bunch of usability improvements thrown in and any improvements that could be made with the higher processing power. In a year the situation might be totally different. The Axe-Fx 2 started sounding noticeably better than the Std/Ultra around that point to me and now several years later is much better sounding.

While I would also be interested in hearing what is actually different in Ares, Fractal is unlikely to say as how they do modeling is their biggest asset against their competitors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom