Quantum 3.01 Question....

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
Would the changes to the modeling increase perceived brightness? I readily admit it could be my ears and will revisit after giving them a rest but my DC30 patch that I use on dang near everything seems quite a bit brighter....and more broken up as well. 4 on the drive knob feels more like 6 would have.

Yes, I know, set the knobs with my ears not my eyes, i get that....I've preached it to others 100 times. This is more of a curiosity question as to whether my ears are playing tricks on me or if the changes would have this effect.

Would the changes to the modeling increase perceived brightness? I readily admit it could be my ears and will revisit after giving them a rest but my DC30 patch that I use on dang near everything seems quite a bit brighter....and more broken up as well. 4 on the drive knob feels more like 6 would have.

Yes, I know, set the knobs with my ears not my eyes, i get that....I've preached it to others 100 times. This is more of a curiosity question as to whether my ears are playing tricks on me or if the changes would have this effect.

It seems I'm not the only one. I just posted something similar to the 3.01 release thread...

RR

It seems I'm not the only one. I just posted something similar to the 3.01 release thread...

RR
yeah, i'm going to revisit tomorrow. it's a very noticeable difference. first time i've ever had an issue like this after an update. what's even more weird is I played all weekend on the beta and had zero issues, and the release isn't different as far as the modeling goes. maybe i should refresh just to be safe.

Would the changes to the modeling increase perceived brightness? .

I sure hope so! 2.04 sounded much too dark and bass heavy to me on all amps. So if this one is brighter I am happy. Haven't tried it yet.

I sure hope so! 2.04 sounded much too dark and bass heavy to me on all amps. So if this one is brighter I am happy. Haven't tried it yet.
yeah, i was coming from 3 beta. Cliff said the modeling hadn't changed so it must be my ears, my DC30 patch just seemed much brighter than the beta. i'm sure i'll figure it out.

Coming from 2.04!
Brighter but maintaining body... and finally sounding like a real amp using amp and cab.
Well balanced...
In past firmwares was too bassy or too bright... I think now is very very well balanced :)

Coming from 2.04, a few of my presets do sound a bit brighter.. at least that was my initial perception. I haven't have much time with it yet though. And I tend to use low to mid-gain amps only, including the DC30. Still sounds great, but it was a change from 2.04 to my ears..

I noticed more high mids for sure. The DC30 was already on the articulate side, but now it seemed a little harsh. I used the 5-band passive eq to notch a few dB's off the high mid band. adding a touch of transformer grind, lowering either (or both) the gain or MV and playing with the dynamic pres/depth for a while got me squared away.

Depends on what firmware you are comparing to. If you are comparing to 2.04 the DC30 model should be virtually identical. Note that the Transformer Grind for that model will be set to 0.1. To get the sound of 2.04 set it to zero and it will be identical.

i've had the opposite with the DC30...but perhaps i just need to rethink my settings/IR choices because I have been using very bright IR's and all controls at noon with no hi cut. with a darker IR and a bit of high cut it was getting better.

also, Cliff, I was coming from Beta 3.

not finding fault, was just curious. I'll use my ears and get it there. all that being said...the AC20 did close the gap a bit with this FW.

i've had the opposite with the DC30...but perhaps i just need to rethink my settings/IR choices because I have been using very bright IR's and all controls at noon with no hi cut. with a darker IR and a bit of high cut it was getting better.

also, Cliff, I was coming from Beta 3.

not finding fault, was just curious. I'll use my ears and get it there. all that being said...the AC20 did close the gap a bit with this FW.

From 3.00 beta there is absolutely no difference. The modeling in 3.0x is identical to the beta version.

From 3.00 beta there is absolutely no difference. The modeling in 3.0x is identical to the beta version.
yeah i'm not arguing, could definitely be my ears. the transformer grind is defaulting to 1.0, not 0.1 (i'm assuming that was a typo anyway) but there's virtually no difference between zero and 1.0 to my ears. Those amps use pretty big iron so i'd imagine it would be one of those it didn't have that much of an affect on.

iirc, I'm close to noon on BMT, slight bump in the mids there, but my hi cut was around 5 (playing through either a middy cab or a blue back IR), MV at or near 8.

Xfmr Grnd sounds really great on this amp IMO to loosen it up a bit.

iirc, I'm close to noon on BMT, slight bump in the mids there, but my hi cut was around 5 (playing through either a middy cab or a blue back IR), MV at or near 8.

Xfmr Grnd sounds really great on this amp IMO to loosen it up a bit.
my setting were noon, mv wide open, drive at 4 and no hi cut into an IR with a GB/Alnico mix....57 dead on and 121 to taste.

Hey jlynnb1
I updated to the latest 3.02 firmware a few hors ago and it's the first thing I noticed.
I remember reading your post a few days ago so I had to come back and let you know that I've experienced the same thing.
It sounds like I've turned the presence on 10!
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but there is a change.
I went to one of my presets that uses the BE Friedman. I selected the amp, deselected it and then reselected it again and whoa! Definitely brighter. I can hear it clearly. Interesting.

Hey jlynnb1
I updated to the latest 3.02 firmware a few hors ago and it's the first thing I noticed.
I remember reading your post a few days ago so I had to come back and let you know that I've experienced the same thing.
It sounds like I've turned the presence on 10!
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but there is a change.
I went to one of my presets that uses the BE Friedman. I selected the amp, deselected it and then reselected it again and whoa! Definitely brighter. I can hear it clearly. Interesting.

Coming from 1.xsomethingsometing, the 3.0.2 models are SO INSANELY INTENSE BRIGHT OMFG it's bright. So much so, that I kinda want to jump back to 1.0.4, or what ever it was I was using for the last 2 years. Basically every preset I had is useless without major editing due to the insane amount of high end everything seems to have now.

It's probably the new version of the Dynamic Presence parameter, and Xfmr Grind, which covers the old function of Dyn Pres. Adjust those.

Coming from 1.xsomethingsometing, the 3.0.2 models are SO INSANELY INTENSE BRIGHT OMFG it's bright. So much so, that I kinda want to jump back to 1.0.4, or what ever it was I was using for the last 2 years. Basically every preset I had is useless without major editing due to the insane amount of high end everything seems to have now.

I didn't let that brightness deter me. I redid my patches and my presets have never sounded better!

Back
Top Bottom