qsc k12.2 vs qsc 8.2 for axe 3

Keith White

Experienced
I have been using my qsc k12.2 speakers for my personal monitors onstage for my axe 3. I need to put them back as the pa mains. I am either going to buy 2 more k12.2s or I am thinking about going with the 8.2s. Keep in mind I have everything dialed in perfectly and am fanatic about my tone. Does anyone have any experience with both of these.
So by the numbers the tone should not change much at all.

12.2 8.2
2000 watts each
12 inch woofer 8 inch woofer
1.4 titanium compression driver highs on each
low freq driver each is 1800 watts class d
hi freq drivers each is 225 w
45-20 55-20 freq range
50-20 59-20 freq respnse
same cabinet material 8.2 is just smaller

so does anyone have any advice regarding this
the only big difference is the low end frequency but most of the time i cut some low frequencies in the cab model so i dont think they are audible anyways.

and i am sticking with qsc. the 12.2s have extreme power clarity and dont color the sound. perfect for my taste

if you have them dialed in and you are picky, then I wouldn't mess with a working formula, regardless of what "it" is.
The one thing I will say is though they have less bass, the 8s have wider dispersion and for a wedge facing you that could be handy.

I have 2 QSC k10s for my studio FX 3 and 1 k8 for my mobile fm9 that I just got ( mind blowing!!) They work very well, the power is over the top for my use, I use probably 20 % of what I could. I contacted QSC to put out a video for all of us using there product to get the best results for frfr, but unfortunately didn't see anything as of now. you would think they would take advantage of this opportunity. I really recommend trying the k8 for portability as my latest jam proved to me that it has a good amount of volume and clarity for room jams and is relatively light weight.

I use a pair of the K8.2s, and they work great for me. Before that, I used a single K12. I had more boomy low-end issues with the K12, though to be fair I also didn't have my low cut set up very well. Much better on the K8.2s, but there's still plenty of bass on tap if you need it.

Having another set of K12.2s is a great idea so you have matching back up speakers in the event you have a failure with a PA main.
I'm a big fan of redundancy... this is a really great way to have that in your situation.
That said - if absolutely wanted to downsize, I'd go with the K10.2 before the 8.

Reactions: ESW
I have 2 QSC k10s for my studio FX 3 and 1 k8 for my mobile fm9 that I just got ( mind blowing!!) They work very well, the power is over the top for my use, I use probably 20 % of what I could. I contacted QSC to put out a video for all of us using there product to get the best results for frfr, but unfortunately didn't see anything as of now. you would think they would take advantage of this opportunity. I really recommend trying the k8 for portability as my latest jam proved to me that it has a good amount of volume and clarity for room jams and is relatively light weight.
use 2 old school QSCk10's since 2015(?)....i'm interested in knowing what your opinion of the K8 vs K10 in a giggin' context....

I really like the 8's. They have wider dispersion so the sweet spot is bigger. Seems the low end would be the biggest difference between the two but 55hz is low enough for guitar. I don't think you'd have any issue switching to the 8's

Use 2 k10 for live (stereo) and k8 for small gigs like practice in small rooms, they re so powerful. k10 handle low end really well I put mine on default. as for the k8"s ...so nice for jamming with friends.

I currently have QSC K10.2 at home and love them. I find they're the perfect compromise between the K12s and K8s personally.

They actually sound great even at lower volume, but they are powerful enough for the odd times the bands shows up for an impromptu jam session or rehearsal!

Just looked at price, and while my original advice is still true, dang these QSCs have gotten expensive, at any size.

For that kind of money I'd also be tempted to put a toe in the water with a PXM-12MP or similar and have a co-ax config.. which I preferred in an A/B... they used to cost more, now its just about the same thanks to inflation.

Last edited:
I tried out all 3 sizes of the .2's and settled on the 10.2. It was the, "just right" fit for me. I know this doesn't answer your question, but I feel it's worth mentioning that I like the 12.2's for PA purposes, and the 10.2's for guitar.

May I ask what settings you're running your 12.2's at for guitar? I was using studio, but switched to default, and liked the additional low mid I was hearing.

I just in the last two months got a nice pair of headphones and feel if I get used to them and then compare to the 10.2's I'll have a better understanding of making things gel. Which goes a long way in determining how things relate to FOH sound.

Good luck on your journey, I'm sure loving mine so far.

Back
Top Bottom