QSC K10 Annoyance

I use a K12 and a K8, dont mess with the sub switch. Love the way they sound. The K8 is high-on top of the maki 1521 on the far side by the other guitarist. The K12 is on it's side on the floor, but placed on a wooden pedalboard I made a while back, so maybe a 15 deg up angle. Total guess. I didnt like the way it sounded just standing there. I stand about 10 feet away from the K12. Sounds great. I tried the maki 1521s as well. I bought them for the PA but figured I would give them a try-didnt sound as good though.

Regarding volume (not tone/feel):
I just took one K10 on a classic rock gig. The room held about 250 people. Un-mic'd drums, bass player with 4x10, a vocal PA and two keyboardists.
(It should be noted that to my ears both keyboardists had all ten fingers on their boards all the time. Why do they do that?)
Anyway, we were quite loud and one back-line K10 on a tripod handled things with head room to spare.

Sounds very promising! Mine is arriving today I. I will try to take it to a gig next weekend and some rehearsals.

Jens

I'm another interested party. Have had the Ultra for a week and one day with my K10. I am still learning and tweaking but wondering if the K12 might have been better.

Have had the Ultra for a week and one day with my K10. I am still learning and tweaking but wondering if the K12 might have been better.
When I tried the two I liked the K10 better than the K12. The K10 sounded smoother to me... which is not good.

The K10 and K12 are made by the same manufacturer, are part of the same K series and share the same amplifier and a lot of other design features. Allowing for what should be only minor differences due to change in speaker and cabinet size, they should sound so close to identical as to not make a difference. But they don't.

When I tried the two I liked the K10 better than the K12. The K10 sounded smoother to me... which is not good.

The K10 and K12 are made by the same manufacturer, are part of the same K series and share the same amplifier and a lot of other design features. Allowing for what should be only minor differences due to change in speaker and cabinet size, they should sound so close to identical as to not make a difference. But they don't.

Thanks Scott.

So if I'm reading you right, you are saying ditch the K10 for the K12. K10 SHOULD sound as good with the Axe FX but it doesn't.

Is that correct?

I can only speak on behalf of the QSC KW122's and they are incredible. I believe that the onboard amps are the same as that in the K12.

Yes, of course you will have to adjust your patches to work well with them - My Ultra sounded awful at first when I started using them as I was still using patches made for my tube power amp and guitar cab. Once I tweaked everything for the FRFR speakers, it sounded better than ever at all volume levels.

Try creating some new patches using the QSC speakers. If you then find that they don't sound as good through whatever IEM or other systems you are also using, you could either adjust the EQ for the second output line in the axe settings or create a second output block (FX loop) with it's own EQ/PEQ blocks within the actual patch.

This should really be able to solve any EQ type issues.

Thanks Scott.

So if I'm reading you right, you are saying ditch the K10 for the K12. K10 SHOULD sound as good with the Axe FX but it doesn't.

Is that correct?

No. I said I prefer the K10. To my ears both the K10 and the K12 do some funny things to the mids; gotta live with that in this level of cabinet and dial out what we can. Both cabinets have issues. Overall I prefer the K10. Smaller and lighter is a nice extra.

What's bad to me is that two cabinets of the same series, built by the same manufacturer and sharing lots in common design-wise, should sound almost identical (allowing for only slight variation due to speaker and cabinet sizes). Maybe someone got lazy or overly cost conscious somewhere in the design of these things. Maybe they tried to use a one-size-fits-all crossover. Something got fudged.

It will be interesting to see Jay's test results on the K10. I wish someone would send him a K12 (and a Verve for that matter).

No. I said I prefer the K10. To my ears both the K10 and the K12 do some funny things to the mids; gotta live with that in this level of cabinet and dial out what we can. Both cabinets have issues. Overall I prefer the K10. Smaller and lighter is a nice extra.

What's bad to me is that two cabinets of the same series, built by the same manufacturer and sharing lots in common design-wise, should sound almost identical (allowing for only slight variation due to speaker and cabinet sizes). Maybe someone got lazy or overly cost conscious somewhere in the design of these things. Maybe they tried to use a one-size-fits-all crossover. Something got fudged.

It will be interesting to see Jay's test results on the K10. I wish someone would send him a K12 (and a Verve for that matter).

Ah. Got it. I wasn't sure what to make of the "...which is not good" comment saying you liked the K10 over the K12.

I too share some of the same sentiments. Size, weight, and I also thought that the K10 sounded fine compared to the K12. Price played into my decision a bit as well.

While I can navigate around the machine just fine I am so new to sonically creating things. I will await Jay's analysis before taking any drastic "tone chasing" action (returning the K10).

QSC Audio Forum • View topic - Frequency Response Charts

They seem reasonably flat - especially for this kind of application. I would be surprised if the overall sound differs greatly between the K12 and K10, but having never done an A/B comparison in different environments and from reading some of the reports above, it could of course well be the case. I suppose you could put it down to the different physical speaker size and cab dimensions when subjected to a non-treated room / area (which will always introduce a whole lot of variance).

For the OP, maybe consider the possibility that your patches were either dialled to conform with certain colours introduced in your other monitoring sources, or were created by someone with a different kind of speaker / amp setup. I would strongly suggest creating fresh patches (particulalry if your are new to using true FRFR systems or have recently introduced them into your axefx setup).

Update: Just played a handful of gigs this weekend which were the first time truly using the K10 as a monitor (I typically use IEM's). I have to say in this application it performed great. We had horribly loud stage volume at this one conference (hearing damage levels coming out of the monitors - lack of a good monitor engineer) and the K10 kept up at only half volume.

I do agree that turning on the Ext Sub switch helped both by itself and in the band mix.

As much as I was tempted to buy an Atomic wedge, I think I'm going to keep the K10 for it's small lightweight nature and pick up a set of studio monitors for creating patches.

Also, I appreciate Jay analyzing the K10's and giving us some EQ correction! Looking forward to those results!

I happened upon this thread while looking for tips to fix my old K10s.

I’d love to hear some feedback a decade later.

I use my QSC K10.2s as FOH for medium sized venues with KSubs.

All of my fractal units FX8, AX8, FM3 sound great through them.

We have to consider throw. The K12s throw at 75 degrees. There are hot spots. The softer 90 degree throw the K10s have is more pleasing to my ear. The sound comes from everywhere.

I’m speaking FOH.

Personally, these days I’m happy with the 8” headrush for stage sound. They’re cheap, FRFR, and we have to remember that’s just for us. $175 and 20lbs. My main outs go through $20-50k systems typically.

Or through my K10.2s when I bring my rig for small gigs.

And I get compliments on my guitar sound all the time.

While my eight boogies stay home lol.

I’d love to hear your thoughts and what you are all using these days.

🤘🏼

i got some K12.2's to use as our main PA tops and i think they sound great. i did feel i had to cut a bit at 6k to get rid of some slightly annoying upper mids, but just a couple of db.

Back
Top Bottom