Q2.04 and Headphones Issue [Resolved - User Error]

kdmay

Has anyone noticed the behaviour of their headphones changing with Quantum 2.04?

I updated yesterday and all of a sudden my headphones don't work properly. All I am hearing is a "wet" signal - sounds very washy like there is no dry path.

When I bypass the reverb in any preset, the sound disappears.

Has anyone noticed the behaviour of their headphones changing with Quantum 2.04?

I updated yesterday and all of a sudden my headphones don't work properly. All I am hearing is a "wet" signal - sounds very washy like there is no dry path.

I'm on 2.04 and everything sounds like it should through headphones.

your headphones aren't plugged in all the way or correctly.

your headphones aren't plugged in all the way or correctly.

I hope you're wrong but if you aren't, I then hope I can delete history from this thread.....!

Thinking about it, perhaps there is a chance this could be right, given I might only be hearing one channel (TRS plug). But that would suggest I an running a panned hard LR wet/dry setup, which I'm not.

Anyway, I'm not home until later today, so will try then and keep you posted.

The headphones tap right off the main outputs. Reinstalling the firmware won't make any difference and is bad advice.

The headphones tap right off the main outputs. Reinstalling the firmware won't make any difference and is bad advice.

I have a bad feeling this will be user error and I will be looking for a large rock to crawl under later today....!

Thanks for the feedback, I suspected this was the case as none of the settings I played with made a difference.

I hope you're wrong but if you aren't, I then hope I can delete history from this thread.....!

Thinking about it, perhaps there is a chance this could be right, given I might only be hearing one channel (TRS plug). But that would suggest I an running a panned hard LR wet/dry setup, which I'm not.

Anyway, I'm not home until later today, so will try then and keep you posted.
This is a common occurrence with any gear when the adaptor or connection is bad. It sums or phase cancels things and you hear only reverb or extreme left/right signal. Wiggle your headphone plug.

Are your reverb blocks in series?
Check if the Mix parameter in the reverb block is set to 100% and the Bypass parameter in the reverb block is set to Mute.

Also tap the Global button on the front panel. There are two parameters called Reverb Mix and Effects Mix. Are they set to 50%? Set them to 0.
It's a long shot but worth checking.

OK - is there a big rock one can crawl under?!

I had checked the connection of the headphones into the Axe. Was fine last night, so automatically assumed it was a setting or something wrong with the unit.

After reflecting on this thread, I just got home and checked the cable that connects into the headphones themselves (which are brand new, so not necessary to replace). They are the removable type. And it wasn't quite connected.

All is fine now. Feeling a little embarrassed but if it wasn't for this thread and the forum, I wouldn't have checked this. So I guess the post wasn't entirely useless. For me at least!

Back to rocking the sweet tones of the Axe. Thanks guys.

PS: Thread title updated.

OK - is there a big rock one can crawl under?!

I had checked the connection of the headphones into the Axe. Was fine last night, so automatically assumed it was a setting or something wrong with the unit.

After reflecting on this thread, I just got home and checked the cable that connects into the headphones themselves (which are brand new, so not necessary to replace). They are the removable type. And it wasn't quite connected.

All is fine now. Feeling a little embarrassed but if it wasn't for this thread and the forum, I wouldn't have checked this. So I guess the post wasn't entirely useless. For me at least!

Back to rocking the sweet tones of the Axe. Thanks guys.

PS: Thread title updated.
This exact headphone issue happens often, don't feel bad :)

Last edited:
No worries. I was trying to record this morning and was getting no signal. Bad mic cable. Happens.

I got one worse and have you all beat....I was tracking and started adjusting my Axe-Fx! I'm sitting there wondering why the sound is not changing....then I saw it....the cable was plugged into another pre-amp! DOH! (got room under that rock?)

Since we're in a "safe sharing zone" I often wonder why I can't seem to get a string in tune, then realize I am turning the wrong peg! This is a particular problem on my EB Axis with the 4+2 peg layout.

Back
Top Bottom