PVH 6160 Master Volume?

RockerAlex

Inspired
I've done a bit of searching around on the forums and the wiki but I can't seem to find a definite answer ...

Does the PVH 6160 count as a "non master volume amp" and therefore need it's master volume on 9 within the Axe to sound authentic?

On a side note, what do you guys run the master at for this amp sim?

The PVH6160 in not a "non master volume amp". The real thing has a master volume. I would recommend running the master volume in the model between 3 and 6 depending on how much power amp breakup you want. For the traditional 6160 sound I would run it around 4.

Yeah... I always run my high gain amps to about 3, and go from there... Although I tend to go lower when its all said and done. 2.5ish usually.

Okay cool, I can only hear very subtle differences between say 3 and 5 but perhaps my ear isn't as well trained as you guys!

Most of the high gain amps are designed to have a very flat mostly uncolored power amp with more wattage and headroom than you would ever really need. Almost like running a solid state power amp with massive amounts of power. This means most of the tone is generated in the preamp section. Keeping the master volume low ensures that you wont overdrive the power amp and bring in any of it "color". This isn't to say dont try it, because you may like what you find. It's just traditionally not part of the high gain sound. You probably wont hear much difference until the master volume is over 5 as it is a very subtle difference before that.

Okay cool, I can only hear very subtle differences between say 3 and 5 but perhaps my ear isn't as well trained as you guys!

a general rule of thumb with hi-gain amps is...

higher drive settings with lower mv settings will keep the tone smoother
lower drive settings can tolerate higher mv settings for a 'grittier' tone

I must be crazy because I love the sound of my high gain amp sim with the master at around 7-ish and the drive at around 2-3ish... BALLS GALORE! (wait... that didn't sound right).

I must be crazy because I love the sound of my high gain amp sim with the master at around 7-ish and the drive at around 2-3ish... BALLS GALORE! (wait... that didn't sound right).

not crazy at all...
that's this -> "lower drive settings can tolerate higher mv settings for a 'grittier' tone"

I use this model almost exclusively and (IMO, of course) 5 is the sweet spot for the master, A/B against the actual 6505 in the room with me.

I've been going with the 'stock' MV at 2 - until the other night, where I managed the preamp gain downwards a bit and thought a little more MV (2.42 specifically) would spritz it up just right. It did. The smoothest gain-y tone I've gotten.

Back
Top Bottom