Purchasing Axe-FX II for Apartment use, what else do I need?

Noob here, and some of these might be stupid questions so I apologize in advance. I am purchasing an Axe-FX II with pedal board for use in my apartment. I currently have a CRATE solid state guitar amp, but it sounds like I should switch to an FRFR. If you guys think that is needed for an apartment, will I just need the following: -A power amp? -Single FRFR Speaker?
Alternatively, assuming I dont have a guitar solid state amp, can I just plug my Axe-FX II into my home stereo system? What is needed for that, just 2 RCA cables into the stereo amp?
Also, can I listen direct out Axe-FX II unit itself by just plugging in headphones without any separate amp?

It's up to you which way you go. If you want a normal guitar cab then yes you will need a power amp of some type. If you go FRFR then you can go is cheap as an EV ZLX powered speaker or spend a lot more and buy something like a CLR or Xitone from Mick. I use the EV option, ill at some point have Mick make me something custom but for now the EV has been just fine.

For home use your neighbors will probably thank you if you do not go with a massive poweramp->speaker cab set up. And if you have other people living at home they will probably be thankful as well. For home use a mixer with two active monitor speakers probably works best. You can run everything else into that mixer as well, as use a headphone.

If you've got the money a decent set of studio monitors is a good bet.

And if you don't have the money, sending it into an AUX or tape return on your stereo will work fine. Get some phone plug-to-RCA adaptors.

I ran a Rockman this way all through my college apartment days. For conversation-level practice and noodling, it's more than good enough.

For high volume, it probably won't be fine.

Honestly, If you really want to do the axe justice. Get the most expensive studio monitors, you can afford. Unless your playing live. then frfr or cab/poweramp. I really didn't get the full experience until i grabbed a pair of Presonus Eris E5's, cost me $180.00 for the pair, shipped. Headphones are ok, but monitors or FRFR, are the way to go. I am a tube freak, 4x12 cab, guy too. If you do go with a cab, do NOT cheap out on speakers, you WILL be disappointed.

Get the most expensive studio monitors, you can afford.

I agree, if you can afford decent stuff. I say this only because I know nothing about your situation. When I was in college and using said Rockman through my stereo, I couldn't afford anything. And in that case, buying nothing is better than buying something that's not very good - better to save for something decent rather than buy the first thing you can swing.

Headphones and a USB cable (Axe-FX to PC) will get you pretty far for apartment living.

What's after that depends on how you'll use it. Is it never leaving the apartment? Do you jam? Do you gig? Do you record?

A lot of people like FRFR for monitoring, but it didn't work out for me and I have no use for a stage monitor since I don't gig. Whether you choose to go with a regular guitar cab or a FRFR setup, I'd get a power amp (I'm using a Matrix GT1000FX) so you have the choice of using either. In my case, a 2x12 guitar cab worked out much better than a 1x12 FRFR cab. My problem with the FRFR cab I got was that it was super directional and useless for basement jamming. YMMV. Obviously it works for other people...

As mates said, it depends of your neighbors !
Headphones are mandatory, for the little 3am jamming :)
If you play alone and home only, maybe monitoring is better than a pair of 12" you can't turn on without getting shot.

Playing loud on a hifi system is a bad idea, I fried a system and a home cinema :s

Definitely get a pair of good headphones if you can't blast out the volume. I have my live rig in storage right now so I'm using headphones/axe/MFC at home. I use headphones at home with Axe/Apple Mac/MFC and it's great!

Also, if you hook up the Axe via USB and use it as your soundcard, you can jam along to tracks or record without anything other than the computer and the axe.

There's loads of threads on good headphones, I use these and they're great, nice flat sounding monitor cans.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-dt-250-headphones-ear-cup

I use sennheiser hd25 sp II and am happy with them.
I have 2 yamaha hs7 and no amp, and no live amp :)

I just got some Beyer DT880s. They're killer. If you look around you'd can probably get them for about $150. $150 won't get you anything as nice for monitors so it's a good option

A set of Yamaha HS7 is good value for the money and you're up running for USD600.
....and of course headphones (i like Beyer for their comfort) for night sessions ;)

Honestly, If you really want to do the axe justice. Get the most expensive studio monitors, you can afford. Unless your playing live. then frfr or cab/poweramp. I really didn't get the full experience until i grabbed a pair of Presonus Eris E5's, cost me $180.00 for the pair, shipped. Headphones are ok, but monitors or FRFR, are the way to go. I am a tube freak, 4x12 cab, guy too. If you do go with a cab, do NOT cheap out on speakers, you WILL be disappointed.

Big +1. Part of saving up for the Axe for me, was to also factor in the price of good monitoring.

You wouldn't spend £2500 on say, a Mesa Mark V to play it through a cheap guitar cab. It wouldn't do any justice to the amount you've invested in the amp. That's not to say there aren't great affordable options out there.

If you're just going to be noodling at home, The Equator D5 and D8 monitors discussed elsewhere on the forum have received a lot of positive press/user reviews, and they won't break the bank. I think the D5's are about $399/pr, not sure on the D8's.

Back
Top Bottom