PSA -- Garage Band Cannot Be Used For Re-Amping FM3

vika12

Experienced
For those who've been using Garage Band as your DAW, please know that, unfortunately, Garage Band cannot be used for re-amping. I was able to connect the FM3 as the interface in Garage Band and to play a "dry" DI into it. However, among other things, Garage Band does not allow you to change the output of your DI to FM3 Output 3. I emailed FAS tech support about this issue and they informed me that re-amping is not possible with Garage Band. So, one needs to purchase Logic or another more advanced DAW for this purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this something that will be addressed in a future release of Garage Band (or FM3 firmware)? Curious why this rather specific (DAW-dependant) limitation ... ?

This. It’s a flaw in GB. You can use Apple’s Audio/MIDI Configuration utility to select the required USB I/O channels, but GB overrides those settings. It’s hard-coded to only use channels 1+2 for output.
This is exactly the detail I was hoping for. Yek for the win (again)!

I think Garage Band is a good program -- it stays out of the way so it's good as a scratch pad.
It has the same interface and many shared features with Logic.
As a testament to its utility, it is used by some top pros to create demos.
However, it is very limited, and as Yet pointed out, it is also hard clocked at 44.1 kHz.

If you're considering Garage Band, just do it right: get Logic. .

Logic has a 90 day trial which I just downloaded today. On its face, I thought it looked pretty much just like GB. It even appeared to have the exact same Drummer utility. If you are used to GB, Logic will look really familiar.

I’m not sure if I’ll hear any difference in my recordings, but between a new 2020 iMac, an Audient ID14 and the FM3 I’m WAAYYYY more up-to-date than I was a few months ago.

if GarageBand is the size of the moon, logic is the size of the the sun...

no comparison between the two really, in terms of power and capabilities

Back
Top Bottom