PSA for dummies: switch the Fractal unit on before your power amp

Sorenspete

Inspired
I got my Fryette 2/90/2 roughly a year ago. I had used a tube head for years before switching to modeling so it's not like I didn't know stuff like never switch the head on without the load going anywhere. However, the stupid thing I did was thinking my power amp was dicky because it made a buzzing noise every time I switched it on. As it transpires, switching the Axe-Fx on before the power amp prevents this.

I found this thread which deals with this topic and despite the numerous humorous (humorously numerous?) replies, unix-guy correctly states:

1705968538886.png

Question is: precisely why is that? And was I damaging my power amp by switching it on before the Fractal?

I got my Fryette 2/90/2 roughly a year ago. I had used a tube head for years before switching to modeling so it's not like I didn't know stuff like never switch the head on without the load going anywhere. However, the stupid thing I did was thinking my power amp was dicky because it made a buzzing noise every time I switched it on. As it transpires, switching the Axe-Fx on before the power amp prevents this.

I found this thread which deals with this topic and despite the numerous humorous (humorously numerous?) replies, unix-guy correctly states:

View attachment 133663

Question is: precisely why is that? And was I damaging my power amp by switching it on before the Fractal?
The risk is more to the speakers than than amp...

Because if your power amp is turned on first (and it's plugged into a cab) you have a wide open amplified path.
When you then turn your Axe on (like every product) there is some type of pop or click that comes out of the Axe (or other unit)....you are sending that pop/click noise into your wide open amplified path.....and you get gross sounds that can sometimes damage the speaker that is now receiving that awesome pop noise.

Kind of like why you don't plug your 1/4" into your guitar while your amp is blasting. You turn down the amp....plug your guitar in...then turn the amp volume up.

Make sure to crank variac to 150, EVH told me so, anyway bring up vol on pwr amps after everything powered up? At gig end dial them off. Easy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom