PSA: Change your strings!

One fresh set of strings later as it sounds great again!
Yep! Spent the last several days changing strings on my guitars…some haven’t had new strings in years. What a difference.

I even took a shot at restringing my Rickenbacker 330/12…that’s a real treat, especially with the ‘R’ tailpiece. Even did a slight neck relief tweak on the double truss rods, even after reading all the warnings about snapped rods and fretboard separation. Tuning it is a chore as well.

Elixir Electric strings just sound like half dead strings from day one and have the disadvantage of making that tone last longer.
NYXL are the best for lasting for me but it very much depends on how hard you are on strings and some people sweat acid.

I’m a 20 years user of elixir cause I have very acidic sweat and they’re the ones that really last.
But throughout the years the tones have changed, don’t know who provide them strings now but the tone is not as good as it use to be.

But I bought to try some d’addario XT ( or whatever, the new coated ones) and they last not as long as the elixir but omg the tone is so awesome. 🤩

My guitars are all due for a string and lube session. I should get on that.
I don't lube, but ditto on string change.

Things is, I tried some different ones last time around, and it's been long enough that I don't remember what they were, or where I got them to check their records.

I'll probably just go back to my trusty EXL110s, simple, available everywhere, and cheaper than FancyStrings.

and the thing about having a collection of guitars. Sometimes you don't play 1 or 2 for quite some time...like since the last string change and they've gotten dull just sitting there. I picked up my Strat the other day (it had been a good 6 months) and strings were so dull. I mean its not a bad problem to have ha. General maintenance

and the thing about having a collection of guitars. Sometimes you don't play 1 or 2 for quite some time...like since the last string change and they've gotten dull just sitting there. I picked up my Strat the other day (it had been a good 6 months) and strings were so dull. I mean its not a bad problem to have ha. General maintenance
Yea, I have this problem as well. But even my guitars I'm gigging heavily I tend to not change strings for a looooong time. I just don't mind the dullness and they feel good with my finger gunk in them.

Yea, I have this problem as well. But even my guitars I'm gigging heavily I tend to not change strings for a looooong time. I just don't mind the dullness and they feel good with my finger gunk in them.
and sometimes old strings have a useful tonal quality. If iirc I read once an interview with EVH regarding the recording of the 5150 track. He said he picked up the guitar and strings were very old but he liked how it sounded and that's what ended up on the recording. You can almost hear it on that intro.

I don't lube, but ditto on string change.

Things is, I tried some different ones last time around, and it's been long enough that I don't remember what they were, or where I got them to check their records.

I'll probably just go back to my trusty EXL110s, simple, available everywhere, and cheaper than FancyStrings.
Lube is multiple meaning. I do use nut lube, but it also involves cleaning/oiling the fingerboard, clean and polish the finish and (very lightly) lubing any trem contact points where applicable. I've been using D'Addario XT's lately as they are easy to get hold of. When in stock, I'll usually grab EB Paradigms as a first choice but for some reason they aren't well stocked locally. I'll assume it's because the staff get tired of hearing customers bitch about how expensive they are. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom